Micro Layout Ops
I use a 12:1 ratio so that an 8 hour shift would be 40 minutes or a 5 minute hour.

The math for scale hours is simple. Just divide the ratio by 60 minutes. 4:1 would be 4/60=15 minutes per hour.

Did I simplify it or make it more confusing? 35 Wallbang Nope
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:I use a 12:1 ratio so that an 8 hour shift would be 40 minutes or a 5 minute hour.

The math for scale hours is simple. Just divide the ratio by 60 minutes. 4:1 would be 4/60=15 minutes per hour.

Did I simplify it or make it more confusing? 35 Wallbang Nope

I understand how it works but,its plain easier for me to just say 15 mintues equals one hour..On one N Scale ISL I had back in the 90s I used 10 mintues because of the require switching simply because from start to finish it took 40 real mintues to switch that layout or a 4 "hour" time frame which was just about right.

Besides my wrist watch was the "scale" clock... Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I'm even later to the party! I thought that video was very cool. Almost at the end of the video, did anyone notice the extra, short moves of the ex-CR locomotive apparently because the couplers were not properly aligned?

Such a scene, modeled approximately to scale in HO using a caboose and a fairly short track switch (say #5), could be done in less than 50" of length plus a cassette for staging if desired. If one were inclined to "model" all the time it takes to perform the task at hand, it could be a very fine tiny layout. Many would likely desire at least a bit more variety, though.

Since time doesn't scale, I have been giving some thought to the concept of fast time. Fast time to me makes a lot more sense for a layout that runs trains, has meets, connections, schedules, et cetera. For the small ISL layout that is just one crew working the spurs I feel more comfortable using regular time. Of course a tiny switching pike cannot provide an eight-hour shift. Since we can't model everything anyhow, the rest of the shift in my warped little world is, for lack of a better term, staging time. Just as the "rest of the world" we represent with staging tracks, the "rest of the shift" can be represented with staging time (which costs nothing and requires zero real estate).
You can go to the local dollar store and pick-up a cheap battery operated wall clock and remove the hour hand and you now have a 12:1 fast clock. Wire in a kill switch so you can stop it (and save on the battery/the phone rings/you want to stop for lunch) when not in use and you are good to go for next to no $$$$$$. I paid $5.99 for the clock and $1.79 for an on/off toggle switch at the local Ace hardware store.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I've heard of people using a cheap clock like that before but hadn't heard of the kill switch idea. Pretty neat stuff. Thumbsup
You could also use a power strip or an extension cord that has a switch built in. that way if you have to shut off power (derailment, train driving off of the HO world, etc.), you stop the clock as well. This is what I'm planning to do.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:You could also use a power strip or an extension cord that has a switch built in. that way if you have to shut off power (derailment, train driving off of the HO world, etc.), you stop the clock as well. This is what I'm planning to do.

Why would you want to stop the clock if something goes wrong? That just adds to the realism.

Maybe your crew will outlaw before they get their work done or maybe they'll go for a early quit..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I just figure that it's time to stop the clock if your train proves that the world is, in fact, flat (according to our scale layout worlds). Of course N scale is a longer fall with no chance of engine crew survival, especially since the engine will be in a million pieces.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

"You could also use a power strip or an extension cord that has a switch built in. that way if you have to shut off power (derailment, train driving off of the HO world, etc.), you stop the clock as well"

Not gonna work being as the clock doesn't plug into the wall because it's battery operated. Plug in types usually sell for a lot more $$$$.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:"You could also use a power strip or an extension cord that has a switch built in. that way if you have to shut off power (derailment, train driving off of the HO world, etc.), you stop the clock as well"

Not gonna work being as the clock doesn't plug into the wall because it's battery operated. Plug in types usually sell for a lot more $$$$.

$5 or less at most discount stores for plug in. One switch convenience.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Actually around here they don't even sell plug-in type wall clocks, seems most people don't like the cord running down the wall and don't buy em' so they quit carrying em'. That said either way you have only one switch.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Actually around here they don't even sell plug-in type wall clocks, seems most people don't like the cord running down the wall and don't buy em' so they quit carrying em'. That said either way you have only one switch.

What's a plug in wall clock? I haven't use or even seen one in use for years..Some things just fade out of style and you don't even notice they're gone..

The tube screen TV I use for my PS1/2 is a relic of the past and on the endangered list-going to be replaced with a 19" flat screen.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Yeah, I keep forgetting that kitchens don't have the outlets for wall clocks anymore. You can still find the clocks though. Heck, you can even use nightstand clocks if you're running an ISL.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I once saw an article about using regular clocks with only the minute hand as a fast clock...that included mention of creating a replacement cardstock clock face under the hand. You could conceivably place the "hours" on the new clock face in any fast time ratio you wanted.
That's what I plan on doing. If you start the operating session at 12, you can count how many hours your crew has been working. Of course, just starting the minute hand on 7 for the crew's 7x3 shift.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines