"One-of-a-Kind "
Sumpter250 wrote:
The day I bought my Sunset Models, brass, B&O EL3a, 2-8-8-0 , I made a comment about painting, lettering, weathering, and correcting a couple of minor detail "mistakes" ( yeah I had been studying photos of the loco, and just about knew everything I needed to make the model a more accurate representation of the type, as used by the B&O, and didn't realize that I was standing amid a group of "collectors") and was rewarded by loud gasps, and extreme consternation over the fact that I would even begin to think about altering that "collectible". Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted 357 Icon_twisted .....
it was a " good day "! Wink Wink
I guess there is a difference between Modelers, Model railraoders, and Collectors . Icon_twisted

sailormatlac wrote:
Ehehe!! You know what, in my eyes, the altered model would be a one-of-a-kind model, then more valuable! ;-)
Matt

Why not.......a thread about your "ones"-of-a-kind. Matt's comment about an altered model being a one-of-a-kind, got me thinking that many of us have built a model that is just that!...."singular"....in essence, a "prototype in its own right".
So! Modified, Scratch-from-the-beginning,whatever, let's see your "One-of-a-kind"
Here's one of mine:    
3' gauge, outside frame, 2-4-4-2 compound articulated, rebuilt from a Baldwin 2-8-0.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Isn't that what all of us do, all of the time. Each thing we build is unique in it's own way, ad this forum covers all of that.
"MountainMan" wrote: " I'm sure there are truly "unique" models created of stuff that isn't at all common, such as locally built snowplows and those locos that were shop-bashed by some of the lumber companies, or perhaps freight cars cut down to make needed gondolas and so forth, and a thread for that would be great. Thumbsup "

That is the concept I was going for. Models of modified equipment, that haven't been done before. Models of "other roads" equipment that "your" road has modified for its own service applications, original concept locos,rolling stock/buildings/details, the truly unique, and "one-of-a kind".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete thank you for this thread! Cheers I just have to say that turning a Connie into a Mallet is an amazing piece of engineering, something I wouldn't even try to tackle. Worship Worship Worship

I did a shoe box challenge on an other forum sometime back and I did mine in O scale just to try something new. This would be On18 (runs on N scale track). I don't claim there was anything like this in real life and it was not all that hard when compared to your Mallet but for some reason I just liked it and even though I tossed out the shoe box a long time ago I have hung unto the loco. This was a mining layout and an internal combustion loco would never have been used in a mine Eek but what the heck! Icon_lol

I'm sure a lot of you also have a one-of-a-kind hanging around so let's see em' 2285_

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Cool thread idea and it starts off with two well done unique pieces of equipment. Nice! Thumbsup
Here's Southwick and Winsted's "Cobbler" caboose. It was started for a kitbashing challenge back in 2010 that I didn't have time to finish for the challenge. Started out as two bay window cabeese "diced and spliced"(or cobbled) together. I finally finsished it a couple of weeks ago.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I had a few railfans unhappy over this one...some said it wasn't prototype. It is however 12" = 1 ' scale
We converted a caboose into a mini coach. It was quite a popular car and sat 30 folks.            
Charlie
Great looking booses guys! Charlie the only problem with yours is not many people have room for a layout to run it on! Goldth
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Pete thank you for this thread! Cheers I just have to say that turning a Connie into a Mallet is an amazing piece of engineering, something I wouldn't even try to tackle. Worship Worship Worship

I did a shoe box challenge on an other forum sometime back and I did mine in O scale just to try something new. This would be On18 (runs on N scale track). I don't claim there was anything like this in real life and it was not all that hard when compared to your Mallet but for some reason I just liked it and even though I tossed out the shoe box a long time ago I have hung unto the loco. This was a mining layout and an internal combustion loco would never have been used in a mine Eek but what the heck! Icon_lol

I'm sure a lot of you also have a one-of-a-kind hanging around so let's see em' 2285_

Any special reason for the cammo pattern? Or did it just "rust" that way? Big Grin
Just rusted that way! Icon_lol Sorry about the quality of the pics, I hit something I shouldn't have and everything on the camera was in French! Curse And the pictures weren't as clear as normal. I wasn't in the mood last night to fool with it but I just finished getting it straightened out a little while ago. I had to reset everything back to default then start new but it seems O.K. now. 2285_
Mike