Restoring an old friend, my Mantua Pacific
It'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

Seriously, it's alive and running. Smile I added the new pilot, installed the motor, and cleaned the extra paint off the wheel treads. That last part was forgotten until I tried to run it and got nothing! Oh ya, the ground goes through the frame and to the wheels. 35 She ran a little rough until I lubed the running gear, axles and greased the gear. It's still a bit rough and loud(no sound needed I guess) but looks pretty good going down the rails. It runs much better pulling a train to add some resistance compared to running solo. I need to run it more to break it in but we're off and running!

I tried to take make a video but it was too blurry. When I get back from some errands I'll try again with more light and slower speed.
Corey
Forest Gump shed his magic shoes yesterday. I already had to loc tite one side when reassembling this thing. Looks like the other side needs a little as well. Back to the work bench.
Corey
Oh boy, the threading in the middle drive wheel is stripped. :o I decided to bid on an entirely different frame, wheels and running gear on ebay. I figure I could just swap them out or combine them to get this thing back together. I guess I can add another 10 to 15 dollars to the total. Oh well, it's worth it to me.
Corey
Sorry to hear about the rebuilding troubles. But don't give up! Seeing it run, and run well, is what it is all about. Knowing that YOU brought it back to life is even better! Hang in there!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Time for the good and bad. The new chassis is in the mail as we speak. Now that I've realized the plating on the original wheels is all but worn off, I'm thinking I'll use the whole new/old chassis. I snapped some pictures of the good and bad so far.

First up, the good. My new pilot from Yardbirdtrains.com. I still need to add a new light, marker lamp jewels, and paint the bell. The new pilot helps complete the "I'm not a Mantua" look!

[Image: Mantuarepair037.jpg]

The bad, Forrest Gump shedding his magic shoes! Note the stripped out hole in the wheel.

[Image: Mantuarepair039.jpg]

Hopefully next week I'll get to finish this fun project.
Corey
That new front end is certainly a big improvement. Thumbsup Thumbsup

I think that I would have attempted to fix the stripped-out hole, if for no reason other than to see if it could be done - well, I'm sure that it could be done, so perhaps to see if I could do it. Misngth
The hole would need to be made progressively larger, then a plug inserted. I'd punch the plug from sheet brass of the same thickness as the wheel, then key it into the driver. The keyways could be done using a file for the hole in the wheel and a cut-off disc for the one in the plug (before inserting it, of course). The key could be a piece of brass bar stock. An alternative method might be to install the plug, then simply drill a small hole at the interface of the plug and wheel. A short length of music wire could then be pressed into place to serve as the key. The secured plug could then be drilled and tapped, and everything re-assembled.
However, since a replacement chassis is on the way, no need to even attempt it. Wink

Wayne
The pilot really changed the appearance... It's funny how just a little change here and there makes an engine looks like something else.

Good luck with the new chassis!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Dr. Wayne, I'm guessing you could fix it. I just don't know if I could! Big Grin As said earlier, I decided to punt on this one. I just hope the new one is in as good a shape as I think it is.

Thanks Matt, I'm very happy with the new pilot, that's for sure! Thumbsup
Corey
It's alive.......again!!!

The Pacific is reassembled after adding a new chassis. I also painted the motor while it was apart so you don't see that shiny silver underneath. I still haven't added a light bulb in the front. I keep forgetting. 35

Right now it's running laps. It was little rough at first so I hope it smooths out after some break in time.
Corey
Makes me want to find an old mantua or two and fix/detail them! Cheers
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
So, apparently I need to work on my video skills! Since I already took the trouble to upload it, I'll share it. I'll work on my photography skills later!

[Image: th_Mantuarepair042.jpg]

[Image: th_Mantuarepair041.jpg]
Corey
Both videos work fine and look good!
Reinhard
Thanks for sharing. The locomotive seems to run smooth again! Good work!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
She sure does look good doing her thing..!! Good job..!! Thumbsup

Question....I find that the pilot truck on my Mantua Mike "stutters" every now & then. I also encounter the same problem on a factory-built 4-6-2 from Mantua's Collectable series. Does yours do it..??
Is there a fix for this..?? I tried "packing" the axles with some thick automotive grease I had lying around, but that didn't fix it. Any ideas..??
Gus (LC&P).
Both videos worked fine and looked good. Thumbsup Thumbsup

You might want to send the MoW gang out to check that first water barrel platform in the first video, though - it musta been filled with heavy water. Icon_lol

Steamtrains Wrote:....Question....I find that the pilot truck on my Mantua Mike "stutters" every now & then. I also encounter the same problem on a factory-built 4-6-2 from Mantua's Collectable series. Does yours do it..??
Is there a fix for this..?? I tried "packing" the axles with some thick automotive grease I had lying around, but that didn't fix it. Any ideas..??

Gus, if there are any plastic parts on or near that pilot truck, you may want to remove the grease and replace it with either some plastic compatible lubricant or a puff or two of Kadee's "Grease 'Em" graphite.

Non-plastic compatible oils and greases can do nasty things to some plastics:

[Image: Bachmann2-6-6-2gearboxphotos004.jpg]

Wayne