An engine servicing facility for the JGL
I am so impressed with your work!! I especially like your worn ledges in front of the ticket windows!! Great detail!!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Hello everybody! Not much has been done since March but there has been some progress. Many of you may know there is illness in the family limiting my time and desire. But I did make progress on the station.

I found it impossible to get good interior shots thru the windows. You can look thru the windows with the lighting on and I think it does look very nice. These are the best i can do, someday I will take the roof off and show you the interior.

One of the ticket counters. By chance, the ticket window lines up with a track side station window when you look at this angle. And you can see trains go by thru the rear window! Just a sliver, mind you. But enough for a Pyle headlight for example. No chance of you seeing it though!

This is the Men's waiting room

The previous shots were with the roof off. This is with the roof on and the interior lights on.

This shows the 4' platform I'm building, along with a piece of railing I will use. The parking lot height will slope from the 1/4" paneling near the station to the 1/2" Homasote by the railing. You can see one of the roof supports I will use for a covered platform. Who knows how far apart they should be?

A view of the east end of the station

Attached Files Image(s)

I built a quick and dirty mockup of the platform canopy. I'm undecided on what length I want to cover the platform. After several days of walking by to see how it struck me, I think I will only have a roof to where the black pickup truck is. But I'd like your thoughts.

I love the interior pictures, especially the night shot with that fella through the window. Thumbsup
Ralph
Another wonderful example not to fill up all available space but to leave space as it belongs, open. On the other hand the detailed handcraft on the buildings. That is going to be a great layout.
Reinhard
Welcome back, JGLfan, I hope getting back to your BAD TO THE BONE layout will give you some stress-free time while helping take care of your Mother-in-Law.... I for one have missed your progress Thumbsup
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
" I think I will only have a roof to where the black pickup truck is. But I'd like your thoughts. "
My thoughts......All too often passenger platforms are modeled too short, and look....." I'm not sure what it is that's wrong with this scene ". But, space is always at a premium and the trick is to balance available space with plausibility. I'd say not less than three passenger cars in length.....if space allows.
The station interior shots look great!
One of these days I may have the cash to spend on a trip back East.
If that day never comes, I still have good memories of time spent running trains on your layout and good company, and for those, I thank you.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks Ralph, Reinhard, I appreciate your kind words! Richard, I'm glad to see you look forward to posts, I'm afraid I won't be making much progress on the station just yet. I am working on something else operation related while I decide how long my platform roof will be. Pete, that was a great night and I wish you could come back, there is twice as much railroad!

The platform adds 4' to the 18" from the kit. So a good 5 cars. Does anyone know how far apart the roof supports should be?
jglfan Wrote:The platform adds 4' to the 18" from the kit. So a good 5 cars. Does anyone know how far apart the roof supports should be?

I'm thinking, with the location, and possible snow amounts, about every scale 22' ( 3" ), unless the platform roof is wood, and wood supports are used, then maybe about half that distance.....close to the support spacing of the Atlas platforms.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Nice work Gary, I'm still surprised that you never entered one of the structure challenges, You would do good there.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
More and more excellent quality on the JGL, and great to devote the space to such finely crafted features. A 'guesstimate" from (imperfect) memory of local stations with similar canopies...10"x10" steel "H" columns on approximate 16 to 20 foot centers (dictated by standard lumber lengths?), metal frame with wood deck, asphalt shingles, and those built-on-the-roof gutters on the track side (sturdier/less clearance problems). http://theartblog.org/blog/wp-content/up...atrobe.jpg IMO,Your thought about the "roof to the pickup" sounds good for a station this size. Trying to find some more usable photos, but guess we tend to shoot the trains, not the platform. :oops: Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Wow, great photos! I really like the first two - looking through the glass. Awesome!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
The station in Ocala, FL, where I grew up, had a cover over the platform extending beyond the station building itself for a ways (2 or three carlengths?) in one direction, but then just open platform beyond that and only open platform (concrete) in the other direction. I think where you've indicated in the photo with the black pickup truck looks about right to my eye, but I'm not there in person to judge it up close. I think you'll have to decide on the proportions as to what looks & feels right unless you're basing it on a particular prototype.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I suspect the amount of cover and the extent of weather proofing of the platform will depend in large part on the part of the country you are modeling. The Fullerton Station here in So Cal has no cover over the platform, just some small sheltered benches. A station in Minnesota would probably have something much more substantial.