An engine servicing facility for the JGL
A housing for the rollup door will be attached to the wall pictured above similar to the one on this Magnuson kit.

I've also attached a pic of the control panel for the engine facility just to show how everything is arrainged. I've kept the area immediately in fron of the turntable clear, and the powerhouse will be removable if needed. That's all for now!

Cheers
Can't really add anything to whats been said. Looks fantastic
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
I've been working on my powerhouse, and I learned a little about using brick sheet over styrne sub walls. As with the roundhouse, I could not get an invisable seam when I tried joining together indidual wall sections which I had already laminated the brick sheet to. So I removed about 3/8" of brick sheet by first slicing with a knife then using a chisel blade to scrap up thet narrow strip. Basically, rather than deal with the joints at the corners, I dealt with them on a flat wall, and will use downspouts and electrical conduit to hide these joints, some of which actually mated up very well, I'm sure I can do better in the future when I plan it out that way initially. I have some detail items for the office space on order, so work on the powerhouse will stop for awhile, I will finish landscaping and get the turntable bridge finished. Here are some pics.

These two pics show the office space and the roll up door, behind which will be the boilers. I just wanted to get an idea how much can be seen while in place on the layout. The office is right near the aisle at eye level, and the light seems to get in there pretty well, so I will furnish it. I have a desk and chari, filing cabinets and a coat tree on order from Feziwigs. That is a blackboard on the rear wall. The door frame visable nect to it does ahave an open door in it, is is behind the brick wall so you cn't see it from this angle. The door opens into the boiler area. I've built a pair of very crude boilers from dowl and facial tissue, only the ends will be seen from the partially open roll up door, and judging from the photo of that door, not much will be seen at all. An employee hauling on the door chain will be added. For the office area I will be building soem storage shelves upon which I will place valves and fittings I have on order from Plastruct. These will go on the right side of that room. Any thoughts or comments are welcome!

I have finished the turntables bridge (well, I'm not happy with the arch supplied with the tt kit, will be looking at prototype pics and will scratchbuild another, but sometime down the road) and a bit more landscaping. I have to wait till tomorrow to get some more cinders to finish ballasting. I'll now extend the landscaping down to the sand, coal and ashpit area, whilst I wait for details for the powerhouse. I cleaned up the railheads and ran some trains for a change, and took some photos. First is L4 #3129 approaching the turntable.

And from the other side. I was just using the auto mode on the camera, rather than the f stop priority which would have required additional lighting, so depth of fiels isn't so good. When the area is finished to my liking I'll go to the trouble of positioning lights to get better pics.

And on the bridge. You can see the arch is just stamped from acrylic sheet. I only lightly tacked it on for now.

And lastly for the 3129, tucked away in the roundhouse.

JGL # 2204 on the outbound track

L2a #2765 had just brought in an eastbound freight, and was now backing down the runaround track to access the servicing facilities. As it passed the NW depressed center flat, I saw a photo op and shot this photo. JGL #'s 2204 and 2207 have been doubleheaded and are ready to handle a westbound freight. They'll be on their way once the 2965 clears.

Two more and I'll get back to work. Here the 2965 drops ash into the ashpit. This is the next area to get some groundcover. Need some detailing too.

And 2965 approaching the turntable, much as 3129 had done earlier.

:jawdrop: ...wow...,your work really is amazing,and your attention to detil on such a large project is quite inspiring,these layout threads are the reason that the-gauge has some of the best modelers on the net Thumbsup --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Thanks Josh!
Lookin' good, Gary. Thumbsup Thumbsup I like the colours which you're using for the ground cover, and the road in a couple of shots is especially effective. Of course, you can't go wrong with Mikes and Mohawks in the pictures. Wink Goldth

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I often have trouble with colors, and have to tweak a bit. I've found that it's best for me to wait a week or so before tweaking, as it is difficult for me to know if I've got it right till I walk by it a bunch of times. I thought the roadways too orange at first, but I've grown used to it and now think it may be alright.

Gary
Thought I'd update with recent activity. I did get the detail parts I needed for the powerhouse, but have not gone back to work on it yet. I did some more ground scenicking and then switched over to the corp headquartes scene I had been so undecided about. Started with making the retaining wall and ramp for the access road near the tower, because it was straighforward. Then i started cutting some cardboard into the size of the proposed walls of the office bldg. I saw immediately that I did not like the fact that at two stories high, the entire roundhouse scene was blocked from view from the yard panel. I should note that the engine facility has its own panel and the yard panel has nothing to do with it, but I had gotten used to the view while there was no bldg there.

Hmm, you know, I think i'll make a seperate post in the Upper Berth about this, as I want to solicit advise from as many folk as possible. I will post here a shot of the overall engine servicing area as it looks today. The cardboard mockup of the office bldg is in the distance, you can se the amins going beneath the bldg, and that I've brought ground cover up ad far as the coaling tower. I have a diesel sanding and fueling towers to build before I finish that area.

I took this photo while shooting others for a thread about the corp headquarters bldg. The ladder in the photo is grossly oversized, I will have to build one but nonetheless I like the photo. Inspired by a shot in a Lackawanna book.

Ladder? What ladder? Misngth It's pretty difficult to make a NYC Hudson not look good. :mrgreen:

Wayne
Ladder...?? Someone see a ladder..?? Goldth

On the serious side...That's one humongous engine facility you have in the works...Looks great..!! Thumbsup

What did you use to build that ramp running along the tracks that gorgeous Hudson is on..??
Gus (LC&P).