Wisconsin in N
Thought I'd add a couple more shots of the layout today.

[Image: WoodChipUnloading.jpg]
A close up of the paper mill wood chip and pulp wood unloading area:

[Image: ChemicalTanks.jpg]
Paper mill chemical storage area

[Image: MidWestColdStorage.jpg]
A better shot of the MidWest cold storage facility

[Image: DistributionCentre1.jpg]
Distribution warehouse

[Image: NewAdditions.jpg]
Latest additions to the WC fleet at the rail side of the distribution warehouse above.

And finally, a problem area of the layout:

[Image: Undecided2.jpg]

[Image: Undecided1.jpg]

I can't make my mind up what to put in this area yet, the paper mill is just out of sight to the right of these two views, and that is the end of the line. As you can see I'm toying with the idea of a residential possibly with a run down trailer park ...... any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
The pile of pulp is terrific! It's size justifies the RR service very well.
Reinhard
Looking good Kev! As far as the area with the houses/trailers I think you are going in the right direction. All those people that work in those industries need places to live and shop.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Typically, a ruin-down trailer park will be serviced by a dirt road which could either parallel the tracks (not much room) or cross the tracks. Around here, they're almost always behind a sagging, poorly maintained six-foot high wooden fence, but to preserve the sightline a rusty, saggy chain link fence covered with weeds, brush and blown trash would fit the bill just as well. Be sure and put the trailers very close to each other, since trailer parks like that don't allow much elbow room because it cuts down profits.
Thanks Mountainman, that matches what I was envisaging. I managed to catch a few photos on my last visit to the States and they certainly were packed in. Spotted some interesting 'modifications' to some of the trailers that I'd like to model.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Kev1340 Wrote:Thanks Mountainman, that matches what I was envisaging. I managed to catch a few photos on my last visit to the States and they certainly were packed in. Spotted some interesting 'modifications' to some of the trailers that I'd like to model.

Cheers,

Kev

My pleasure. If you need some current photos of typical trailer parks in Colorado, I'll be happy to oblige. Unfortunately, the seediest and most run down one was in nearby Florance, and was just torn down, but there are plenty more. Thumbsup

Be sure to consider skirting, too. Once they're in place, skirting is attached to the lower edges to keep out animals, debris, help insulate the undersiade and to hide the chassis. Often it's in the same sorry shape as the trailers, or sorrier, and mud spattered and bent up as well.
Photo references would be great Thumbsup The only photos I have are ones I took from on-board the Empire Builder so are 'snatched' shots that failed to catch details well.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
I will get to work on it! Thumbsup