View New Posts Link
I found it Smile The update must have set some Default values in the settings... I turned editing on permanently and have the delete post set for 60 minutes... Most of the time we move posts to the Ash Pit - but it's there if we need to delete something Smile

If you find anything else, let us know Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Oh crap, same here! Curse Wallbang Shoot It's like there is a time limit or sumthin', a new post you can edit but anything I posted yesterday I can't???????? Nope 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
Yup, you're right, there has always been a time limit on how long you have to edit a post. However, I just checked that setting and it has been disabled, so right now you should be able to edit any and all of your posts. So we have a conflict here, the setting says you can edit anything, our rules have been that you could only for 24 hours, and right now we have no idea where we are on this.

I think I've got some work cut out for me today and see what other great things were changed by this update we did a week ago. It should not have changed any of our default setting, so now I've got to check them all. The idea behind the 24 hour limit is to prevent someone from changing the context or content of a post that has had several replies to it. I know, we've all posted something that we regretted from time to time, but 24 hours should be enough to back out or change what you said.

Just give me some time to see what going on here, it sounds contradictory to how it's set up though....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Hurry guys, now I can corect ALL my miss spiled wards Misngth
Charlie
OK, we've got things sorted out. Here's the deal, I didn't see ngauger's post since it was on another page, and so I assumed that it was the software update that cause the change in our default timeout. :oops: :oops: My bad, but then again it's Sunday and I barely had time for my coffee yet. Remember, his is three hours ahead of my time. After discussing things with ngauger, we've decided to go back to limited the edit time to 48 hours rather than the 24 it was previously set at. There are a few reasons for this, one I already mentioned, but the other one is that we've had spammers register and posting seemingly normal "hello" posts and even replies to other posts, only to come back in a few days and edit their post to include their spam messages with lots of links. This will prevent that from happening. Anyway, two days should be plenty of time to catch any errors, change what you wanted to say or even add to your post. It is recommended that you don't make extensive changes to posts that have had a bunch of replies to already since people will tend to miss your changes. Rather just make a new post to clarify or add to what you already said.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
It's late and I'm not reading all that, can the 'view new posts' link be fixed?

I rather grow weary of viewing my posts button
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
tomustang Wrote:It's late and I'm not reading all that, can the 'view new posts' link be fixed?

I rather grow weary of viewing my posts button

Quoting from a previous post in the thread:
" we can't do anything about it right now. Path has updated our software version and along with it comes a few changes and bugs. I don't know if this is a bug or a change, but they did move the "view new posts" so that it is only viewable on the main or Index page. I've already discussed this with Path and it looks like that's the way it is for now.

One thing you can do though, and what I've done, is to copy this link on your bookmark or favorites list and get there that way.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts">search.php?search_id=newposts</a><!-- l -->
"
So make a favorite or bookmark to the URL above, and use that to list new posts.

Or just click on "Board index" in the upper left hand corner to go the main page, and then click "view new posts" from there.

Smile,
Stein
Yup, like I said, I've had the, "view new posts" link as a bookmark since we started Big Blue, but even then, I have to admit, it was handy being where it was.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thanks stein

I'm on mobile mostly, so the benefit of firefox's bookmark shortcut bar can't help me when I'm not home 35
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I use the RSS feed -- it gives me the updated list of posts that have been added or added to. It updates itself all the time.

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.