More operations on the Kings Port Division
Ralph, I'm enjoying the layout tour as much as I am the operations. You've got one great-looking layout. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Everytime I see your layout it blows me away. The graffiti on the rocks is a good example of the attention to detail to model current (1980's and newer) times! As far as op's go keep in mind even in real life traffic patterns can change overnight so keep tweaking.
Worship Worship Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Everytime I see your layout it blows me away. The graffiti on the rocks is a good example of the attention to detail to model current (1980's and newer) times! As far as op's go keep in mind even in real life traffic patterns can change overnight so keep tweaking.
Worship Worship Worship

Thanks a lot Mike! As for graffiti on rocks, I saw plenty in my neighborhood growing up in the 60s-70s. Hooligans! Smile
Great layout tour Ralph. Everything fits perfect. Urban to suburban to rural. You make it work nicely.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie! I'm going to keep going and follow MK-3 as it works.
Three coil cars are being pulled form Kings Port Steel. This is an easy move.
[Image: 001.jpg]
[Image: 002.jpg]

As the loco pulls the coil cars it approaches nearby Williams Yard. The yard isn't actually modeled but the spur on the far right represents one of its tracks. I've staged three covered hoppers there that need to be picked up. The coil cars will be set out in their place. With the coil cars still coupled the GP30 pulls the covered hoppers out.
[Image: 004.jpg]

The covered hoppers are set one track to the left, the loco does a runaround move on the coil cars, and pushes them onto the yard track next to the blue and white KP&W office.
[Image: 008.jpg]

Next, the covered hoppers are pulled so the loco can start setting the train up for a run in the opposite direction back to Mayfield.
[Image: 009.jpg]
The local hears from the dispatcher that they need to clear the line for another KP&W coal train. There are usually two a day. This train is the one that has been parked on the upper level behind Empire Grain. It's time for it to return to staging. It heads donwgrade and threads its way between the covered hoppers set on the siding and the remainder of the train that was pulled off the main to clear the way.
[Image: 017.jpg]

As the coal drag leaves Kings Port it's caboose creates a little company promo shot with the office in the background.
[Image: 021.jpg]

Time to get back to work! The GP30 runs around the rest of it's train and pulls the caboose. It places the cabin on the same siding as the covered hoppers and tacks the empty black B&O hopper to them to make an easy move later at Hedberg Aggregates.
[Image: 025.jpg]

Moving between strings of cars the loco will couple onto that gon on the left.
[Image: 026.jpg]

and then hook up with the rest of the train.
[Image: 027.jpg]

The train is now ready for the return trip as KM-4 with the GP30 running long hood forward.
[Image: 030.jpg]
KM-4 works it's way upgrade until it arrives at Hedberg Aggregates. The spur is an easy back up move as it heads toward Mayfield.
[Image: 032.jpg]

We're exchanging an empty for a loaded hopper. First the loaded car is pulled...
[Image: 033.jpg]

The loaded hopper is coupled to the caboose and the empty is set under the loading chute
[Image: 034.jpg]
[Image: 036.jpg]
I like the photos of your layout every time you post them. You have a great background scenery all the way that emphasizes the actual railroad in the foreground perfect.
Reinhard
Ralph, can we have a close up or two of the recycled ore car that looks you are using for a loader hopper.
Charlie
Here is a closer pic of that former Tyco ore car. It still needs a conveyor dumping aggregate into the top.
[Image: 045.jpg]

I used a couple of other ore cars to create my car shredder at the auto salvage yard.
[Image: 047.jpg]
Ralph have you contact MR or one of the other mags about them doing an article on your wonderful layout?
Mike

That is a great hopper. It looks even better close up.
I had marveled at the junk yard car shredder once before. You have a great eye to see other uses for things. That leads to fine modeling on a budget.
Cheap Chuck
Goldth
Thanks guys!

Mike, I appreciate the compliment. My self-critical eye tells me my work isn't up to snuff for publication. I have to say, however, that participating on the forum and sharing photos over the years certainly has motivated me to improve the layout. I like a lot of what I see in my own pictures but still recognize scenes and structures I'd like to spiff up. Smile The operations sub-forum has really made me think about running trains in a more fun and interesting way, so again, participating here has led to lots of improvements and enhanced enjoyment of the hobby for me! Thanks for the encouragement!
Ralph
It's good enough Ralph. Worship
Mike

I'd like to see the Nantahala Midland featured too! Worship