Thank You!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Ralf, super Thumbsup Wink
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Thanks Harry!

OK, time to keep this train moving! On the trip downgrade from Hedberg Aggregates we reach "Lower Kings Port" and once again pass by KOSCO. This time the siding is trailing and an easy move to pick up three tankers.
[Image: 002-1.jpg]
[Image: 003-1.jpg]

Leaving Kings Port we emerge from the tunnel under GERN to drop off two box cars at its loading site under the building.
[Image: 037.jpg]
[Image: 038.jpg]
[Image: 039.jpg]

And then...FINALLY...we reach Empire Grain where three covered hoppers will be set out next to those in the background.
[Image: 041.jpg]
[Image: 004-1.jpg]

..and the train heads back to Mayfield (off layout)
[Image: 005-1.jpg]

Phew! Time to give my camera a rest. Smile
Thumbsup Worship Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Ralph,

Have been catching up on the forum posts, you have a very impressive looking layout Thumbsup .

Bruce
Next visit to this thread I'll need to put on a bib, and bring along a drool plate.... Goldth

Not just a visual treat, but with a real operational scheme that closely follows prototype practices....Well done..!! Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Awesome,why didn't i see this thread before(I ask myself)? Smile Wow,It all looks incredible!
Don Shriner
Ralph, we need some more action here. This is too good a thread to put to bed.
Charlie
Thanks for the interest Charlie. I could take some car float operations shots next.
I never get tired of looking at your layout.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Incredible layout Ralph! Thumbsup
Ralph Wrote:I could take some car float operations shots next.

That would be interesting to see. Superb layout you have there Ralph.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Thanks Kev! I've decided to do a litlte scenic work on that part of the layout and then take some pics.

Ralph
Well, I didn't do the scenic work I was planning (mostly ballasting some track) but I decided to take some car float ops photos any way. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

It's still mostly dark at 6 AM while "Cappy" Foster, the Floatmaster at West Mill, sits in his salvaged baggage car office and sorts through the paperwork related to a string of 15 cars left overnight by a southbound from Selkirk.
[Image: 001_zps79dca77d.jpg]

The cars aren't all destined for the car float. Five of them will be placed on the yard's secondary siding for pick up by a local heading to Mayfield. The remaining ten will be directly set on the currently empty float.
[Image: 003_zpsf03478c2.jpg]

The "Robert H." tied up at West Mill overnight. Its crew is rousing and will soon be having breakfast. They are scheduled to cast off at 8AM so the Yard Crew needs to get to work.
[Image: 027_zps648fe97d.jpg]

Working the KP&W Float Yard with it's venerable switcher this morning are engineer Tommy Catone and brakeman Wil ("I'm getting to old for this ___!") Washburn.
[Image: 005_zps76c52a3a.jpg]

The sun hasn't risen yet but there is some soft morning light as Tommy and Wil navigate the various switches to reach the primary siding and the cut of cars. The string of boxcars was nicely blocked at Selkirk so the first five are the interchange cars bound for Mayfield. They'll get pulled from the rest and set on the secondary siding. The flat is a buffer car used to shove cars onto the float while keeping the loco off the barge.
[Image: 006_zpse2f7fde7.jpg]

The loco and cars will pass Canton Box and Sal's Salvage before backing into the secondary siding.
[Image: 007_zps3ae25b76.jpg]
[Image: 008_zps3ffdfb70.jpg]

Wil lets Tommy know the cars have been cut and are in place. It's still not quite sunrise...
[Image: 009_zps3d54053c.jpg]

That's it for now. I'll post some pics of the float being loaded soon.
Ralph Wrote:[Image: 003_zpsf03478c2.jpg]
An outstanding photo! The dim light in the very foreground and at the background building makes it very special
Reinhard