One tough overpass
Love it! That woulod be an eye catching scene!
and a scene that would explain why none of the traffic on your roads is moving.

Someplace it's explained that they were debating in one office how frequently trucks ran into the bridge, so they set up a camera in their window. That's why they seem to have been there for all the incidents. I think the frequency is 2 to 4 a month.

The road may not have been lowered since there may be other places at the side -- other streets coming in. (just speculating). Or the major inconvenience was to the RR who would have to suspend service and inspect the bridge.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:and a scene that would explain why none of the traffic on your roads is moving.

Someplace it's explained that they were debating in one office how frequently trucks ran into the bridge, so they set up a camera in their window. That's why they seem to have been there for all the incidents. I think the frequency is 2 to 4 a month.

The road may not have been lowered since there may be other places at the side -- other streets coming in. (just speculating). Or the major inconvenience was to the RR who would have to suspend service and inspect the bridge.

Yeah, there would be several reasons not to lower the street, building supporting walls, drainage, or as you say, other streets. One vehicle seemed to hit the bridge, back up and turn to the left indicating that there is an escape route to avoid all this. Perhaps they could add one of those cantilevered flapping signs like they have in parking garages. "If you hit this, you'd better turn off while you still can..." Eek
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Or going back to railroad operations, telltales.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
We have 3 such low clearances on E.Mansfield Street and at lest 4-5 times a year some hapless trucker will get his rig stuck.Then NS inspects the bridge to ensure everything the way its suppose to be.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
It's like watching the lid peeled off a can of Spam! (yuk!)
Somewhere, there's another thread on this, on another forum or facebucket. I think that not only is there a steel beam to protect the bridge, but there are also flashing lights warning the driver that he's too tall.
Our city garages have flashing lights set just over 6 feet; I've never taken anything in that would set them off.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
A big problem is that the drivers just don't pay attention.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
tetters Wrote:It's like watching the lid peeled off a can of Spam! (yuk!)

I was thinking more like a can of sardines, ya know like the ones they used to have with the key that you wind the lid up. :o Yeah, yeah, days of yore, well before th iPad.... 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:
tetters Wrote:It's like watching the lid peeled off a can of Spam! (yuk!)

I was thinking more like a can of sardines, ya know like the ones they used to have with the key that you wind the lid up. :o Yeah, yeah, days of yore, well before th iPad.... 357

That works too! Icon_lol
I have often wondered why not use an electric eye 1/4 mile before the underpass wired to the traffic light or large flashing warning sign that would be activated only with clearance violation. to simple?

There is an underpass near me where the road dips down to go under the track. It has a 14' clearance which is correct. But when a 13'6" tractor trailer goes under the tractor starts going up before the trailer stops going down. The result is trucks stuck under it with out hitting it and no violation. I have seen trailers broken in half there from combination of heavy load and compromised trailer structure.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Lester Perry Wrote:I have often wondered why not use an electric eye 1/4 mile before the underpass wired to the traffic light or large flashing warning sign that would be activated only with clearance violation. to simple?

There is an underpass near me where the road dips down to go under the track. It has a 14' clearance which is correct. But when a 13'6" tractor trailer goes under the tractor starts going up before the trailer stops going down. The result is trucks stuck under it with out hitting it and no violation. I have seen trailers broken in half there from combination of heavy load and compromised trailer structure.

Your suggestion makes sense and wouldn't cost a bundle to implement. Could it be that the towing company there has influenced the town council not to do something like this? :o I guess at our age Les, we tend to be a bit cynical when the obvious is ignored. :cry:
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and