Red lights at older steam engines - how to model?
ngauger Wrote:I believe that - it's possible that they just put any available lens in just to donate them... The only reason we were thinking the blue lenses were used, was that there is one on each cover, so we thought that it was a good explanation Smile Smile

Don't get me wrong... the colors used, including the blue... are legit. They just aren't necessarily in the right places. The smokebox lanterns/lights would have been class lights (unlit, blue/green, white) and the pilot beam lights would have been markers (unlit or red). It is universally standard that the class of train would be displayed high up on the smokebox with flags or lights, whereas the red markers only need be displayed, either high up om the smokebox or down low on the pilot beam. Incidentally, most railroads allowed a light engine or helper to only display a white headlight to the rear as a marker, the red lights were peculiar to PRR and some other roads, but definitely not universal like the class lights somewhat were.

Interestingly, NORAC rules call for red markers on light engines and helpers. The roads affected by NORAC rules are the successors of the PRR; Amtrak, and NS/CSX (successors to Conrail, the successor of Penn Central, the successor of PRR)
-Dave
Are you saying that they told me to put the "colors" back in the wrong covers???? Eek Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

I believe it Smile Smile It's very possible...

That's the trouble with Black & White photography. You can't tell which color goes where, so we just replaced the colors as we found them.. Big Grin Big Grin and I've seen red, yellow & "more orange looking" lights on the older MU cars for the PRR/Conrail. So Yes, you're right there... It depends on where they left the lenses when they parked the engine in Strasburg in the late 70's Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:Are you saying that they told me to put the "colors" back in the wrong covers???? Eek Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

I believe it Smile Smile It's very possible...

That's the trouble with Black & White photography. You can't tell which color goes where, so we just replaced the colors as we found them.. Big Grin Big Grin and I've seen red, yellow & "more orange looking" lights on the older MU cars for the PRR/Conrail. So Yes, you're right there... It depends on where they left the lenses when they parked the engine in Strasburg in the late 70's Smile Smile

Ya... I'm pretty sure it was the Penn Central, not the museum, that mixed up the lenses. They barely had enough parts to keep their active diesel fleet running, let alone correct lenses for steam locomotives retired in the 50s.
-Dave