So there I was....(II)
OUCH!!! I don't know what causes more clean up headaches than water damage...although any damage to a home is always a headache.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Quote:OUCH!!! I don't know what causes more clean up headaches than water damage...
Clean up headaches? Oh, right, but that doesn't happen until after all the different contractors make a mess of the whole place. Eek
The heat is on in that unit now, the plumbing survived last night, the drywall, and insulation went in today, part of the drywall joints are "mudded", and some time next week I can think about moving all the "garage stuff", out of my living room, and back into the garage. The biggest cleanup headache, is going to be all the "drywall residue" on my garage floor, and all of it that has been already tracked into the house.
The "residents" requested the shut off of the gas, and power, so they wouldn't have to pay for it! I want photographs, and an address!
Even in this, there is an "up" side, I found some things out in the garage that I thought I had parted with a long time ago, and I now have a use for them! :mrgreen:
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Quote:OUCH!!! I don't know what causes more clean up headaches than water damage...
Clean up headaches? Oh, right, but that doesn't happen until after all the different contractors make a mess of the whole place. Eek
The heat is on in that unit now, the plumbing survived last night, the drywall, and insulation went in today, part of the drywall joints are "mudded", and some time next week I can think about moving all the "garage stuff", out of my living room, and back into the garage. The biggest cleanup headache, is going to be all the "drywall residue" on my garage floor, and all of it that has been already tracked into the house.
The "residents" requested the shut off of the gas, and power, so they wouldn't have to pay for it! I want photographs, and an address!
Even in this, there is an "up" side, I found some things out in the garage that I thought I had parted with a long time ago, and I now have a use for them! :mrgreen:

I would file a complaint with the owner of the building or whoever is responsible to c hire the contractor. Out here a contractor is expected to clean up the mess before they leave the premises. They may not be able to get things back to pristine condition, but they should clean up enough that you aren't tracking drywall dust from the garage to the house unless you are walking through the area while they are working.
That really sucks I cubes.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Quote:I would file a complaint with the owner of the building or whoever is responsible to hire the contractor.
Goldth Goldth Goldth
I've actually started "planing" my complaints.......all the "files" are worn out! Goldth
The Property manager has eight of these units, with the same problem, a problem we all share to one degree or another......the economy!
At least my case doesn't include a foreclosure. The insurance company limits the property manager"s ability to hire contractors, and what they do have are pushed to the limit because heat has been turned off, and the area is experiencing the coldest winter in thirty years.
"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger"??.....no, makes us bitter! Anywhatever, this too shall pass. The railroad stuff, survives, unharmed!, the rest should maybe have been discarded years ago.

Is it 219 Spring yet? Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
You are to be honored for your philosophical demeanor, and blessed for your perseverance...now...let's get this stuff straightened out ! Hope you (and the others involved) come through this with no further adventures. We want HEAT and CHOO-CHOOs ! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
And the beat goes on................The joint compound didn't dry, it froze! So, the contractor will be back tomorrow, to start on the "interior damage", and set up heaters in the garages, to thaw and dry the joint compound so that it can be primed.
There will be some inconvenience (did I really just say that?), but I will most likely get a new ceiling, and kitchen floor out of the deal...the water has caused the sub floor plywood to de-laminate. That will have to be replaced, which will then require new floor tile to be layed.
Hey!, I can move the microwave to the living room, and still be able to "cook my meals" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sumpter250 Wrote:...Hey!, I can move the microwave to the living room, and still be able to "cook my meals" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wow, you could turn into another Chef Gordon Ramsey if you keep that up. Popcornbeer
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I'm sorry for your troubles...we've been through water damage at my house and I know it's no fun. I hope it all gets solved quickly and you keep on having a good attitude about all this. Remember - you can always vent here! Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
All the repairs in the garage, are done. This weekend, we're supposed to get temperatures up to the "freezing, or just above" range, so I may be able to get most of the "stuff" out of the house, and back into the garage.........................just in time to move "the kitchen" into the livingroom, so the floor can be repaired, though I suspect we should only have to move the stove, and fridge,(and the half bath, between the kitchen and the basement stairway) in order to lay the new tile. Won't know that until the amount of damage can be completely determined.
Another "up side", I found out that the "association" is responsible for the maintenance of the garage doors. Not the openers, but all the hardware, like the rollers, the lift assist spring, etc.
The door works so much better, and more quietly, now! :mrgreen:
Well, today the contractors showed up to remove and replace the bathroom ceiling!
As I post this, they're mudding up the joints. I finally got the garage cleaned up yesterday, and can once again park the car inside!
Things are improving......slowly, but improving none the less.