A little "trivia" question - - -
I was logging in here, when Wagner's "Flying Dutchman Overture" started playing on the radio.
I'm curious to see if anyone knows,........ what 50's era Television show opened with that overture?
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Lone Ranger? Or was that the 1812 overture?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Lone Ranger? Or was that the 1812 overture?

Neither, I think the Lone Ranger show used the "William Tell Overture" as an opening theme. As for the Flying Dutchman, I haven't a clue. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Right! "William Tell Overture" for the Lone Ranger.

I cheated and did some online research and think I found the answer...the show was before my time, but I'll offer the hint that Art Carney as the Ed Norton character on "The Honeymooners" TV show alluded to it a couple of times...while wearing a space helmet! Smile

Hope you don't mind my offering a hint Pete!
Jackie Gleason Variety Show ?

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Ya know, if I could hear it, I might be able to ID the program. Lots of those show had music that I would recognize, but I don't know the name or origin of any of them.

My wife and I were watching some of these PBS specials, "doo-wop" groups and others from the 50's and 60's. Most of the songs we knew, but we never had an idea who the group was that sung it until now. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well - now with the "hint"... The ONLY time I remember seeing Norton with a helmet was when Ralph tricked him into helping to pay for new a TV, which they would share... Of course, that meant the TV stayed in the Kramden's apartment...

One night just after Ralph and Alice went to bed, Norton sneaks in with his helmet..Turns on the TV and after watching for a few seconds, Yells to the TV.....

Space Helmet Onnnn Captain Video!!!!!

Ralph runs out of the bedroom and goes nuts Eek Eek Eek Eek

GET OUT!!! OUT OUT OUT!!!!! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

How's THAT for memory!!! No Google or Wiki needed for that one!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
So far so good Mikey!
" One of these days , Alice , ....POW , right in the kisser !" Eek Goldth

T
teejay Wrote:" One of these days , Alice , ....POW , right in the kisser !" Eek Goldth

T

I liked:

Bang (Pretends to punch Alice)..................... Zooom!!! ( Waves hand towards "the moon") Smile Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:"teejay" wrote: " One of these days , Alice , ....POW , right in the kisser !" Eek Goldth

T

I liked:

Bang (Pretends to punch Alice)..................... Zooom!!! ( Waves hand towards "the moon") Smile Smile Smile

Just recently I saw a "bit of humor", in a "headline":-- " The latest moon rover has just found Alice Cramden" Wink Big Grin Big Grin

Icon_twisted Icon_twisted I can't be the only one who remembers " The Flying Dutchman Overture" opening theme, followed by---
It's "_________ _____ ___ ___ _____ Rangers"
"Ralph" wrote: The Ed Norton character on "The Honeymooners" TV show alluded to it a couple of times...while wearing a space helmet! Smile
-- The Ed Norton character was a fan of the show. Wink Nope I don't mind at all, good hint ! Thumbsup

I have clear memories of "The Lone Ranger" - - - - - - on RADIO !!! :o " return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear, The Lone ranger rides again "

PS It, was not "Captain Midnight"
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I googled for the music, but didn't recognise it at all. I then googled for it as a TV theme song, and while I learned the name of the show, it didn't ring a bell at all, either.

Mind you, we didn't have a TV 'til the mid-'50s, and there wasn't an awful lot to see, even with a 40' aerial on the roof of our storey-and-a half house. The most entertaining thing I saw was my old man, with a ladder set-up on the peak of roof of the house, somehow leaning against the top of the support mast, and at the top of the ladder, trying to adjust the yagis for better reception. I almost got airsick just watching him. Misngth

Wayne
Quote:... I can't be the only one who remembers " The Flying Dutchman Overture" opening theme, followed by---
It's "_________ _____ ___ ___ _____ Rangers"

Yeah, I do remember, "Captain Video and his Video Rangers"..... Vaguely though since it wasn't a show I watched regularly. That's why I didn't recognize the theme song. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Wayne beat me to it , I was about to say Captain Video . Can't say that I watched it much back then . We got our first TV , a 14" Admiral , about 1951-2 ....first show I ever watched was Red Skelton that I thought would be a spooky program Goldth

T
We got our first TV in 53-4, but I don't remember that show. Nope
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string