looking for some ideas
Thanks for all the replies and posts guys. I like using Brown paint much better. As for glue I broke down and bought some woodland scenics scenic cement. I don't agree with the price, but the product is really good. I started painting the base, then painting on glue while the paint is still wet. This really seems to give the ground cover something to stick to. Only downside is the first bit of ground foam soaks in and disappears. I've also carved my first rock face and started making some pine trees from scratch. Looking around on here I got some great ideas to try. I'll post some pics soon in my layout thread.
Kevin:
I'm not sure how many layers some of my scenery has. I keep adding until it looks reasonable. It gets even worse if you use the larger lumps.
After the first layer, I mist the area with chemical alcohol from a hair sprayer. Ask your favourite female or a beauty salon or even your barber for an empty spray bottle or a variety; you need one that sprays a mist that won't scatter the scenic material.

I use the WS scenic cement. It comes at a good consistency. Clean out the sprayer with warm/hot water right after use.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
The WS scenic cement is nothing but overpriced matte medium.I use nothing but plain old white glue thinned at least by 50%.I add a little dish soap to the mixed to help break the surface tension.

My game plan for basic scenery goes like this

1 brown paint applied in a heavy coat

2 while paint is still wet sprinkle on sifted dirt from the back yard (no I don't bake it first the glue will keep any critters from getting lose if they make it through the sifting process)

3 mist wet water over the dirt and then apply glue mix (I use a old Elmers glue with the tip opened just enough to let the glue dribble on to the dirt)

4 add first layer of ground foam while glue is starting to soak in.

5 after everything is dry I mist again and re-glue.

This is what works for me though your mileage may vary.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"