Weekly Photo Fun 1/17 -1/23/13
acelaphillies Wrote:G.E.C, those Metroliners look great! These are really the only pictures that I have seen so far of them on a layout.

Under the lighting conditions at your home layout, the plating looks really good. I don't think it looks too shiny, but instead adds to the realism. Too bad you didn't have the Metros when you visited Andy Rubbo's layout a few months ago, you could have done a photo shoot there too!

First up, Welcome to the gauge, its nice to have some more Juice-Jack people here!

I definitely like the plating on these cars, and I'm glad manufacturers have seen the light regarding these metallic finishes, though i am disappointed with the price increases.

That would definitely look great on Andy's layout, though I think those Metroliners would be a nightmare for his catenary. The springs on these Metroliners are particularly strong, and they bend even my wires, which are thicker steel! My phosphur bronze stuff on my Reading Module can't handle them at all.

I asked him if he was going to pick up a set, but I suspect most people didn't want to pay the extreme price for a PRR set, and as has been pointed out elsewhere in the internet, The Amtrak scheme Walthers went with is pretty limited (few cars had the stripes, most were in PC paint).

Again, you're right about the finish. They are still shiny, even today-

[Image: 81808strasburg049.jpg]

[Image: 81909Strasburg073.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Sumpter250 Wrote:Welcome Welcome acelaphillies
Hope you find Big Blue a definite "destination" for inspiration, camaraderie, and.... Wink Smile .... the posting of some photos.
Thank you! I have been a lurker on here for a while, always admiring people's work, especially the passenger and commuter equipment. You may or may not recognize my username, as I am active on other forums elsewhere on the internet too. After seeing so much great work here, I couldn't resist joining any longer. I hope to add positve contributions to the forum!

ngauger Wrote:acelaphillies - Welcome aboard!! With a name like that - I gather we're from the same ara Smile Smile

Have fun and look around, there's plenty to enjoy here...
Thank you! And yes, you guessed it Wink, I am inded from SE PA. I like in Bucks County.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:First up, Welcome to the gauge, its nice to have some more Juice-Jack people here!
Thanks! And yes, the few, but also the passionate electric railfans!

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I definitely like the plating on these cars, and I'm glad manufacturers have seen the light regarding these metallic finishes, though i am disappointed with the price increases.
Yes, certainly. It is especially hard if you are running on a limited budget like many of us, myself included. There is only so much money that I can spend in this hobby. I was just looking back at the Walthers reference book from 2010 and prices have practically tripled in 4 years! I would love some of those new Walthers Amfleets in IVb, but I will have to wait for some discounts because $80 a pop is too much for me to spend right now. Especially when a shorter prototype train is 5 cars. It adds up quickly!

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:That would definitely look great on Andy's layout, though I think those Metroliners would be a nightmare for his catenary. The springs on these Metroliners are particularly strong, and they bend even my wires, which are thicker steel! My phosphur bronze stuff on my Reading Module can't handle them at all.
Yes I read that he rigs up his pans so that they are in a fixed position and do not put too much pressure on the wires. He would probably have to do that to the Metros before he put them on his layout. I have never actually seen his layout in person, but would love to some day. The pictures always blow me away.

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I asked him if he was going to pick up a set, but I suspect most people didn't want to pay the extreme price for a PRR set, and as has been pointed out elsewhere in the internet, The Amtrak scheme Walthers went with is pretty limited (few cars had the stripes, most were in PC paint).
I have heard a few people that are dissappointed at Walthers' decision to not run the Metros in PC. Maybe they will hear this and do it down the road.
acelaphillies Wrote:Thanks! And yes, the few, but also the passionate electric railfans!

If you really want to model this stuff, you should join our modular NEC club. We don't have any dues or anything right now, so its all free for the time being. Most of our members are in the Philadelphia area, so you're set.

acelaphillies Wrote:Yes, certainly. It is especially hard if you are running on a limited budget like many of us, myself included. There is only so much money that I can spend in this hobby. I was just looking back at the Walthers reference book from 2010 and prices have practically tripled in 4 years! I would love some of those new Walthers Amfleets in IVb, but I will have to wait for some discounts because $80 a pop is too much for me to spend right now. Especially when a shorter prototype train is 5 cars. It adds up quickly!

I agree... I was just discussing this on a facebook page. The prices are getting out of hand, but there isn't a whole lot that can be done. I just hope they don't all dissappear from shelves. I could probably afford to pick one up every few months, and by the end of the year i'd have something, at least.

acelaphillies Wrote:Yes I read that he rigs up his pans so that they are in a fixed position and do not put too much pressure on the wires. He would probably have to do that to the Metros before he put them on his layout. I have never actually seen his layout in person, but would love to some day. The pictures always blow me away.

I was just there for an open house this past November. Its very nice, though its barely 1/4 complete! His pantographs are not fixed. In reality, he has weakened his pantograph springs, AND he has rebuilt is pantographs so that they break away if they snag.

He was showing me one pantograph at a train show, and it crumbled in my hands, I thought I broke it! but that was by design.

At the same time though, his wire is built to a much finer scale than my wire (or most Model railroad catenary for that matter), so he REALLY needs to have the pressure down just right.

acelaphillies Wrote:I have heard a few people that are dissappointed at Walthers' decision to not run the Metros in PC. Maybe they will hear this and do it down the road.

I would definitely be in line to pick up a set of those, and i'd go out of my way to pick up additional Penn Central cars over time. I deally, I'd like to have two six car trainsets, but I expect it will be a few years before I get there. For now, one 4 car set is good enough for me, as its the minimum.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Here is one of the old layout.....I still miss running trains on it :cry:

[Image: photos3012.jpg]
Steve
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:
acelaphillies Wrote:Thanks! And yes, the few, but also the passionate electric railfans!

If you really want to model this stuff, you should join our modular NEC club. We don't have any dues or anything right now, so its all free for the time being. Most of our members are in the Philadelphia area, so you're set.
I have seen you mention this club a few times. Do you have any more info? PM me if you would like.

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:
acelaphillies Wrote:Yes I read that he rigs up his pans so that they are in a fixed position and do not put too much pressure on the wires. He would probably have to do that to the Metros before he put them on his layout. I have never actually seen his layout in person, but would love to some day. The pictures always blow me away.

I was just there for an open house this past November. Its very nice, though its barely 1/4 complete! His pantographs are not fixed. In reality, he has weakened his pantograph springs, AND he has rebuilt is pantographs so that they break away if they snag.

He was showing me one pantograph at a train show, and it crumbled in my hands, I thought I broke it! but that was by design.

At the same time though, his wire is built to a much finer scale than my wire (or most Model railroad catenary for that matter), so he REALLY needs to have the pressure down just right.

Wow, that sounds pretty neat. I'm sure doing that with all of the pans is much better than bringing down any wires!!