Florida ISL - Ocala
I don't want to push this thread too far "off-topic" but a similar small "back-country" operation appears here

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://smallmr.com/wordpress/page/2/">http://smallmr.com/wordpress/page/2/</a><!-- m --> See small layout ideas - Vreeland Rail
Hey Jack,

I did this version on page 2 of the thread, but here's the track plan with better detailing. I just like the look of the engine facility.

I've seen the Vreeland Rail. It looks like a similar track plan that I'm familiar with. Icon_lol

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
If everyone would front me about $400.00 each, I would volunteer to go to Ocala and spend a couple of hours looking at the track. The remainder of my time could be spent on the beach at Fort Lauderdale or at the tiki bars

I think we lost Chris.

Larry B
Sorry Guys
I've been down in London over the last couple of days
I've not have chance to look a the thread,
Unfortunately I'm off to Scotland tomorrow night until Monday.
I won't be able to catch up until next week..

Keep up the good work
Chris
England
On Chris' thread in another forum, it was mentioned how Chris could add a connecting track so that he can have a continuous run option as well as a section of old truncated mainline to help serve a cement plant. I also think that the bridge could be used as the drill lead to pull cars out of the yard if we don't use the drop leaf on the bottom.

I've finally branched out and used flex track and Walthers curved turnouts with a 22 inch minimum radius.

Let me know what you think.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

If you are going that route - add a runround too

Attached Files Image(s)

The use of curved switches saves a lot of space. I am not sure if 22" is the best choice. They are good for MP15DC and max. 50' cars. I think I had two of them on a former layout but replaced them due to the very tight inner curve.
The bridge at the door for the turnout track is a great improvement and adds badly required space. The second bridge for the "run around" should be temporary only when in "run around mood" because it does not fit into the primary operating concept.

ps. The available space is filling up with tracks, isn't it...... Wink
Reinhard
Mike,You kill it.. Icon_lol

Adding the loop would extend the run time between industries..Maybe a" fun" mile between them? The layout could still be operated as a out and back industrial branch line.One could make the turn at the runaround.

For a industrial layout 22" should work even with center beam lumber haulers...
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Her's another version with a bridge instead of the original drill lead. I echo the sentiment that it could be used as a means of adding mileage to the run. while using the bridge as a drill lead (by bridge, I'm just suggesting something like a drop leaf, but if he wanted to put in an actual bridge, so be it.

Hey Larry,
I could barely fit the curve in there to the bridge, so a turnaround is not possible. Chris originally had a CF7 on both ends of the train, but I am suggesting a push/pull operation. The siding on the right peninsula was originally supposed to be a cement distributor or cement plant. The other guys on that forum suggested that he put in a siding for the cement plant and the truncated branch next to the siding so that he could swap out the loads with the empties.

Hey Reinhard,
22 inches is too tight for 73 foot center beam flats, but not 60 foot center beams. Like all short lines and branch lines, there are limits, such as minimum radius and height limits, that are published in a shippers guide (I can't remember the name of it). I would say over 60 foot cars is pushing it.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I like the option of taking out the bridge connecting the two ends of the layout and just using the drop down leaf drill lead.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike
I'm liking that

Like I said before
unfortunately I'm in Scotland this weekend and the whisky has already started flowing.
Having taken the train from Glasgow to Fort William I'm now thinking of a modern day Scottish branch layout

Hopefully it will only last until I sober up.
Chris
England
Hey Larry,
I could barely fit the curve in there to the bridge, so a turnaround is not possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ok..I like the idea of a noisy caboose on the end of the local since the eliminates the need of a runaround.

noisy caboose = a DPU on the end of train or a engine on both ends of a local.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Hey Larry,
I could barely fit the curve in there to the bridge, so a turnaround is not possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ok..I like the idea of a noisy caboose on the end of the local since the eliminates the need of a runaround.

noisy caboose = a DPU on the end of train or a engine on both ends of a local.

Sorry Larry. Shortliner mentioned the runaround and I misquoted. I like shoving trains too. Cheers
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

wsor4490uk Wrote:Mike
I'm liking that

Like I said before
unfortunately I'm in Scotland this weekend and the whisky has already started flowing.
Having taken the train from Glasgow to Fort William I'm now thinking of a modern day Scottish branch layout

Hopefully it will only last until I sober up.

Don't make me put that chip on my shoulder! Icon_lol

Maybe you should drink more Irish Whiskey then. Or an American bourbon. Icon_twisted

Come back to the Dark Side... we have cookies!!! Welcome

One word - CF7. :mrgreen:
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Seems to me that if you moved the "bridge" out you could increase the curve radius at both ends and allow longer cars to clear the sides of the "bridge". Or if a real bridge is wanted make it a plate girder and you could build it in segments to any radius you desired.

Just my $2.00 worth your mileage may very well vary from mine. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"