Florida ISL - Ocala
Having taken the train from Glasgow to Fort William I'm now thinking of a modern day Scottish branch layout

Hopefully it will only last until I sober up.[/quote]

I know what you mean,my mind has be wandering,here some food for thought,just to get it out of your mind Big Grin Goldth

Ray
long island jack Wrote:Having taken the train from Glasgow to Fort William I'm now thinking of a modern day Scottish branch layout

Hopefully it will only last until I sober up.

I know what you mean,my mind has be wandering,here some food for thought,just to get it out of your mind Big Grin Goldth

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Ray, Cg
H
Ray[/quote]

Ray, Chris......both of you stop it now!!
fast car Wrote:If everyone would front me about $400.00 each, I would volunteer to go to Ocala and spend a couple of hours looking at the track. The remainder of my time could be spent on the beach at Fort Lauderdale or at the tiki bars

I think we lost Chris.

Larry B

I could go research it better for you at a fraction of the cost. Big Grin
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Catt Wrote:Seems to me that if you moved the "bridge" out you could increase the curve radius at both ends and allow longer cars to clear the sides of the "bridge". Or if a real bridge is wanted make it a plate girder and you could build it in segments to any radius you desired.

Just my $2.00 worth your mileage may very well vary from mine. :mrgreen:

That would work too. All of the curves are a 22 inch minimum radius though.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Ray,

Those are beautiful shots.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Ok head has cleared

The idea of a Scottish layout has diminished
Back to the shed

to save having a runaround I could do what the Florida Central do and use two locos.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=28.57296...1&t=m&z=17

I think I'll go back to my original idea and plan, which was to freelance the layout but operate it with the Florida Highland Railroad, a sister railroad of the Pinsly Railroad Company's Florida Central, Florida Midland and Florida Northern.

I have 4 CF'7's that will do the work 1 x Florida Central (red), 1 x Florida Midland (Black) and 2 x Florida Highland (red)
I can also call on a GP35
The florida Central had one back in 2002
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPic...?id=112493

I've also a P2K CN GP18 which with a little work could be http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPic...?id=169357
As seen it the photo above.

The track plan is shown below

Chris
England
Excellent find on that GP35 - I can feel an email being sent out to my custom painter John Beuyen.

Jez
Great Plans Chris.

I realized that I made a mistake and made the layout for a 7x10 foot room instead of an 8x10 foot room. Here's my rendition of a possible Florida Highland Railroad using a push/pull modus operandi. I'm not suggesting that you include every industrial siding in the plan, I'm just showing where there are places to put the switches and industries. As I was playing around with the plan, I kept imagining the Pioneer Valley with it's canyons of brick buildings. Anyway, her's my rendition of the plan:

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

You could take out either bridge by the doorway. I would actually prefer to keep Bridge A for the longer runaround. I even included a locomotive storage area on the south leg that can store up to 3 locomotives and a caboose. I just love the way cabooses are set up for shoving moves with safety striping and such:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.ph...37&nseq=34
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I decided to see what the plan would look like without the yard and a siding for the interchange. I also cleaned up the track plan and reduced the amount of sidings.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

I'm not sure I like it without the yard and I'm still not convinced about making it a roundy-roundy

I looked at the yard as a kind of staging/storage/fiddle yard
Also it gives me the opportunity to shuffle a few cars around if I want just a few minutes playing trains without having to run down the line to do some switching.

Heres a project for you Mike, why not make them all trailing points apart from the last siding which are facing as seen on 15th Street video

http://youtu.be/O_vV0JpMqEI
Chris
England
I like it both ways. I figured that in the plan with the runaround, the runaround could act as the interchange, the yard for shuffling cars (basically, a 2 track yard), and a runaround. If you take out the bridge, you use the section of mainline on the left side of the layout (by the locomotive & caboose storage) as the drill track. Once the train is arranged, you tack on the caboose, runaround the train, and shove the train to it's destinations.

The reason I was saying shove is that you don't have to add on a drop leaf or temporary track for drill lead. Your track is all contained within the shelves without wasted space. I redesigned it with a runaround here. I just kept the temporary continuous run option to keep all of the options open.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Another train for the mix

Attached Files Image(s)

Chris
England
If you freelance the Florida Highland Railroad, you could also use Geeps and RS-3s from the St.J Line in Vermont.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Managed to get the shelving sorted today.

I've gone back to the Florida Highland idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT4mYdGzBKk
Chris
England