Sumpter 250's 2014 Summer Scratchbuild Challenge
A Lobster Pound it will be then.
Step one: Research, research, and once that is done, research.
Oh.......and it would help if I started the sketches and drawings.
There will be 24 "hatches" which will require 24 lift handles, and 72 hinges. Eek Eek
I will also have to build, ( or buy ) 15 "half drums" to keep whole thing floating.
( I guess I really should have at least one "escaping Lobster" 357 357 )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
It took the better part of Saturday to get the drawings done in AutoCad, and , an hour or some, yesterday to start this project.
Here's where it is now:

Digging through the " parts stash " I found some old, turned wood, replicas of steel drums. I built a jig to hold them so I could saw them in half. The "pound", as designed, needed fifteen drums for flotation.
The framework is done, and some of the decking is in place.
I still have to find some "suitable" netting for each of the "enclosures", and I have to print out enough "hinges" ( these will be printed on paper and then cut out and embossed ) for the enclosure covers.
Guess I'd better get some "tar" on those drums, before I add any more decking, and can't get to the tops of the drums to add the "tar". :o Wink Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
There will be only 16 hatches...... Wink and 24 less hinges Wink 2285_
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Train show Saturday and Yesterday. Took a "progress shot" of the "pound" on the module.

At, 2-1/2" X 4-1/4", it's not a "big" project, but it is a challenge none the less. Next "step"?
16 hatches, with hinges and handles.
Then, Frames for the hatchways, enclosure nets, and install hatches. Big Grin
That is a neat little structure you have there. Although not very big it sure is packed with detail!

I am thinking I may need to enter the Scratchbuild part of the competition if I can get my Kitbash done!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Neat! What time is dinner? Thumbsup Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Neat! What time is dinner? Thumbsup Cheers

Icon_lol Wink Wink Icon_lol When the Lobster Pound finally contains more than a *pound* of Lobster. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_lol
It's a little overdue for an update, but there are "excuses" Icon_twisted Icon_twisted 357 357 357

The "deck"s done, the frames for the hatches are done. The pilings are a bit heavier than those under the shack and docks, but that's because the "pound" rises and falls with the tide, and, there are only the six of them.
I've come to the conclusion that the only viable way to get from the dock height, down to the "pound" deck is by a vertical ladder at the end of the dock, just to the right of the sliding door.
I still have the " enclosure netting ", and the 16 "hatch covers" to build. The "pound" will probably get the same weathered color as the docks. Most of the decking on the "pound" is "recycled lumber" ( hey, it's cheaper that way , and it's amazing what washes up on the shore after a storm )

[[ the purple color in the last shot is the " Wallbang flash" reflected off the blue water ]]
Progress:

This photo is almost exactly full size of the model, on my 10" X 13" computer screen.
The model is 4.25" X 2.5" the pilings stand 1" tall. The doors are scale 1" X 3" boards on frames built with scale 2 X 4's.
Ten of the Sixteen, compartment doors are built. I will leave the one door ( upper row, Second left ) open, and eventually have someone there getting a few lobster out for sale.
The hinges, and handles, were printed on card stock, cut out, and glued in place as each door was built. Six doors to go !, they to, will be closed. I'm still looking for the best "scale netting". the openings have to be small enough to prevent "Lobster escape" Wink , but large enough to be easily seen as netting.
If it is "out there", I will find it.
Let me know when it's finished so I can go out boating (I don't fish, but riding on the water is just fine). Big Grin This is looking way good.... Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I do not know what a lobster pound is, but it looks good.

As far as netting, I have often wondered about that myself, I have tried things like onion and other food bags but still out of scale even for the bigger scales. Maybe window screen but probably too stiff. If you have the patience and the time maybe a scratch build item Icon_lol Only half joking as I may have an idea how to pull that off with some long track nails, some brownish tan thread and a scrap of wood :ugeek:

step: 1) Drive some track nails part way into a scrap of wood far enough that they can not be pulled out with out some
force.
2) The nails should be four rows in a square pattern or even a diamond pattern will work.
3) Here is where the patience comes in pick a row of nails to start with, tie thread to a nail run it over to the row of
nails directly across then tie it to the nail that corresponds to the one you started with and repeat till you have all
the nails threaded in those two rows.
4) Now the fun(or insanity) begins. Pick a nail from one of the two remaining rows tie thread to it brig it across to
the first threaded nail set tie it in a knot to the first string take it to the next string tie a knot repeat till you
reach the remaining row of nails.
5) Repeat step 4 till you have a net Thumbsup
Howbout using Tulle (wedding veil) for the netting ? It comes in all different hole sizes and it is not expencive. Forgot to mention it comes in just about any colour you would want.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I have used that veil type of netting for the dynamic brake vents on a set of F-3's that I built. It glued and took paint just fine. I did apply it in too layers in order to make the holes smaller.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
"AF350" wrote: I do not know what a lobster pound is, but it looks good.
A Lobster pound, is an "in water", "containment area", or "Holding pen", for live Lobster. The different subdivisions (( 8, with two hatches each )), provide a means to separate the "older catch" from the more recent catch. The "pound" is maintained in the Lobster's natural environment, to keep them fed and fresh, until they are sold.

If you have the patience and the time maybe a scratch build item Icon_lol
That is a possibility, and I have considered it.

That, however is 'knot" Wink going to happen, If I can find something else, that works well enough. Big Grin Big Grin

"Catt" wrote: Howbout using Tulle (wedding veil) for the netting ?
That is more than likely, where I will go.
Just how big are HO scale lobster anyway? Misngth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tulle comes in a large varieity of hole sizes some that were small enough for Z scale chain link netting.Of course that won't really matter if I can't get my soldering ability back on track. Nope
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"