Sumpter 250's 2014 Summer Scratchbuild Continuation:
This is a continuation past the finish of my Summer Scratchbuild Challenge....and, not part of it.

"Most of the running rigging is done on the sloop ( work boats have simpler rigs ) I just need to rig the shrouds, and the sloop will be done. This will take a bit, because of all the "ironwork" that has to be made and attached first."

I've gotten to this point, so far.

as you can see, the chain plates for the shrouds have been built and secured to the hull, the Shrouds have been rigged ( eyes around masthead, and upper "deadeyes" attached / lower deadeyes attached to the chainplates / and lines reeved through the deadeyes, hauled tight, and tied off. The Bowsprit guys / footropes / and sprit stay is rigged and attached to the the Stem just above the waterline. This completes all the "Standing Rigging" ( these are the fixed lines, that hold everything "in place" )

A Port side shot

and a close up, of the fore deck, with a couple of lobster traps just forward of the mast. ( this picture ( you're seeing about 4-3/4" of the model ) is about 1.5 times the size of the model )
At this point I am researching what "hardware" I'll need to build, and where to put it, for hauling up the traps so the lobster can be removed, and placed in the wet tanks.

In all honesty, I can't say which ( building, or researching ) has been the more fun.....each has its own rewards, and it's a case of find out what, find out how it is put together, and then build it and install it. There are also the running lights, Anchor/s ( anchor hawser, or chain ) Whatever small details I've overlooked, and, at some point, a name.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Good looking boat Pete! Cheers

Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks Mike. I have always liked ships, and ship modeling, on an equal basis with trains and train modeling, with SciFi modeling coming in a reasonable close third.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
This one is now done.

I really have to make some kind of portable backdrop for taking some of these photos. This one would be so much nicer without all that background clutter, to the left of, and above the bridges.

A wonderful combination of model ships and model railroad. I love it!
Reinhard
Reinhard, Thank You.
That is one of the beauties of Model Railroading....it's not just "trains", and every "detail" is another model.
In some cases, even a whole different modeling discipline.
It's what makes this hobby great. Cheers
Nice work,

Is the layout there to support the ship model or is the ship there to support the railroad? Icon_lol

Great modeling on both counts. Model ship building is interesting but other than the Ruby Belle the only other scratch built boat I would want to try is a Viking long boat Icon_lol Any Ideas as to weather there are any Viking figures out there suitable for a boat? Now kits and kit bashing there are a couple 1:48 scale tug kits that Micro mark tools has that would be neat.

It is neat how that model railroading combines with other hobbies and interests and keeps the past time fresh. Tropical fish, stamps, Baseball cards and rock collecting all came and went as I got board with them. Still have my cards mostly from mid 80's till late 90's with some 70's cards that survived. I got pretty good at keeping the fish till the point of having frequent population explosions as I liked sword tail fish and when they are happy and healthy the reproduce almost as much as the common guppies(feeder fish). Anyway my current hobbies all feed back into model railroading in one way or another .
Superb work.... as always.... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

I think model shipbuilding takes far more effort and patience than model railroad, far too many small parts to deal with. Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:I think model shipbuilding takes far more effort and patience than model railroad, far too many small parts to deal with. Big Grin

Don, really ? "too many small parts to deal with ? " Remember, this is Horribly Oversize scale... Icon_twisted ..there are no "small" parts. Wink 357 357 357 357 Icon_twisted
AF350 Wrote:Is the layout there to support the ship model or is the ship there to support the railroad? Icon_lol

Good Question ! I would have to say that the "layout" is what it is, to support the "modelbuilding hobby".

Of the four modules that make up the set, three of them include the "Seaport Village and Museum", so, in this case, the "layout" could be considered support for the "ship models"- - - and the bridge models - - - and the models of the various buildings that make up the "seaport village" - - - and the trees, etc. .
It was, after all, my interest in ships, that determined the "world" in which my interest in trains could also be enjoyed.
I might, Icon_twisted Icon_twisted be able to sneak in a 1/72 scale Star Wars X wing, to include my interest in Sci Fi modeling. Eek 357 It would, by necessity, have to be somewhat "camouflaged". (( just to keep the LPBs from running around crying "UFO" )) 357 Wink Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Icon_lol the 62' Two Mast Schooner, now has all its standing rigging in place, time to start on the running rigging. Smile

The vessel on the far left, is the "River Sloop", and is the next of the last three sailing craft to be rigged. That will happen after the schooner is done.
The Lobster sloop, Schooner, and River Sloop are all built on plastic hulls from "other" ship kits. In each case, only the modified hulls, cut at the waterline, were used. The rest of these models were scratch built. The one ship not shown is another Schooner that is on the Marine Railway. That is the one that can have the "below waterline part of the hull" removed, so it can be displayed "Quayside". ( or , possibly outboard the first Schooner )
When all these are done and fully rigged - - - -Aurora Plastic Model Kit, "Wanderer", a three mast square rigger, Whaleship, is scheduled for modification ( waterlined, and all the deck houses, etc, built , wood masts, and spars,rigging, and as many as 4 28' Whaleboats ). (Somewhere in the "time line", I'll have to get back to a Icon_twisted "Duff" project - - the 3' gauge outside frame 2-6-6-2 ) Big Grin Big Grin
All of THIS, is the "Scenery my trains run through". Wink Wink Big Grin
Beautiful work!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks Mikey, I try.....
Sometime back, somewhere, I posted a photo of "Two Schooners". One was the New York Harbor "Pilot Schooner" and the other was a partially built coastal schooner.

This is "Phantom", the Pilot Schooner, done and in a display case.

It is the second one, the Coastal Schooner, that I'm working on right now. This too will be part of the "Seaport Village" modules. This started out as, Lindberg's "The Armed Schooner Sandpiper--War of 1812 Privateer"
In these two pictures, you can see that the standing rigging is done. The Tackle on the forward side of the main mast, is a "Fish Tackle" which is normally used to haul the anchor up on the rail so it can be secured there. This one, however, is serving a completely different purpose. It raises and lowers the centerboard. ( this is a shoal draft vessel, and needs a centerboard when working to windward.)
The forsail, and mainsail "sheets" are rigged, the mast hoops that hold the luffs of the sails to the masts, are installed, the "sails" were cut, wetted down, and "furled". They were left to dry, and then glued to the "fore" boom, and the "main" boom.
I still have to lash them down. The Gaffs ( fore and main) are also in place, attached to the head of each sail. Next will be the rigging of the "Throat Halliards, and the Peak Halliards "

These vessels have been "on hold". Finishing the Pilot Schooner, Got me going on rigging, and finish details, so now is a good time to get all those projects done.
After these? I still have an unfinished "Tour Ship" that needs a "ton" of handrails, built and soldered in place.
After that ? Wink Maybe I will start the Whale Ship "Wanderer" Wink Big Grin
The harbor scene is awesome Pete! Worship Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:I think model shipbuilding takes far more effort and patience than model railroad, far too many small parts to deal with. Big Grin

Don, really ? "too many small parts to deal with ? " Remember, this is Horribly Oversize scale... Icon_twisted ..there are no "small" parts. Wink 357 357 357 357 Icon_twisted

I don't know about anyone else, but none of my stuff has rigging and pulleys. "Horribly oversize" or not, there are still too many bits and pieces to deal with. I've always preferred Normal size, since it is usually very easy to skip or lose a part without it being noticed.... 357 Icon_lol :oops: 8-)
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD