What is the height of your layout?
This is a topic that has been discussed probably in every forum, but I'm not sure we talked about it here. From what I find, the "ideal" layout height is suppose to be between 42" and 48". I've seen where others talk about theirs being as low as 36" and a few going above 50".

My question is, what is the height of your layout, and are you happy with it that way and would you change it if you could?

Higher is great for viewing, but lousy to reach and work on. Lower is great for working. reaching and seeing what you're doing without using a step-stool, but you lose depth of view that way. I just destroyed my entire layout a few months ago when we thought we were going to move. I think it was somewhere in the 42" range, and I think I'll put the new one just about that high as well, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks is the right height for a single-layer layout and possibly the top deck of a double-layer one.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
There is a ledge in the bedroom and I have the back side of the bench work sitting on top of the ledge giving me a height of 51.5". I am 5' 11" and I find it a good height to work and view.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Mine is 40 to 48. If I was to start it today I think I would go to 36 inches because it would be easier to reach, and I could sit down to operate it. Age changes prospective I think.
Charlie
Mine is always 42" and any scenery will make it higher , usually at the back . It's my comfort zone , I really don't care about "supposed to be " . I'm about 6'2 and like to comfortably reach over about 3 1/2 feet without bumping anything .....for under wiring I keep it as close to the front as possible , I don't like going under the benchwork unless absolutely necessary . Misngth ...knees aren't what they used to be .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Mine is 32" high. It fits under the window (around the walls of the room) and a H0 train still can pass under the open window swing to the inside. It is mainly operated sitting in my office chair.
Reinhard
Mine is the height of my elbows (around 44 inches) that way I can sit up if I have to work under it and when working topside I can stand without having to bend over or raise up on my toes.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Mine is the height of my elbows (around 44 inches) that way I can sit up if I have to work under it and when working topside I can stand without having to bend over or raise up on my toes.

Good point. The layout that I trashed was on a hinged door so that I could get to the wiring without going underneath. That way I was able to put in some drawers and shelves. This time I won't have that luxury and I doubt that my body will stand for my using a creeper to get to the wiring. Nope The minimum clearance that I'd need if I were sitting on the floor would be 36", so maybe 42" will allow me the pleasure of using a pillow. Big Grin Height-wise, anything over 42-44" would be a struggle for me to reach anything without something else getting in my way and breaking it. Eek

It's interesting though, what height each person has their layout at, and the reason why. The physical limitations of the individual, the constraints of where the layout is, and sometimes the esthetics of how the modeler wants their layout to appear. Then there are those that run sessions and I guess they have their own set of rules to adhere to, which is also a good reason for how they do things.
As Charlie says, age has a real bearing on how and what someone models and how they arrange their layouts. Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Mine is sitting at 48 inches ans scenery goes up from there. It is just a good working height for me and easy to take ground level pitures.

8-)
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
M y ISL is roughly 52 " from the floor..When seated its about mid-chest level.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I claim that mine comes up to my armpit (oxter for you Scots). It's actually about 4" (10 cm) below my extended arm; 51" to the Homasote surface.
The height starts with IKEA modular shelving plus a bit of woodwork. The shelving is the tallest that I would be able to see over as I use the space for books and magazines (and my record collection).
It's closer to eye level for my wife.

I find that it's a bit high if I have to reach back (maintenance, derailed cars) and I run into any scenery near the front, including other trains. It's only 2 feet wide but I use a step stool to get to the back.

The cats can't get up there in one leap, but they do it in two.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
The Detroit Connecting is 47-49" tall depending on where you stand -- the floor is a little uneven...... Smile In retrospect, I would go even a little higher to possibly 54" from floor to top of benchwork.

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
My lowest level is 43 inches while the summit of my grade is 51. To tell you the truth...I'm not really sure how I decided that! It's been almost 19 years since I started working on bench work.
Mine will be at 50" in order to match the Free-mo standards.

This will also allow me the room underneath for a work bench and storage.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
When I rebuild the Grande Valley this spring it will be 48" to the railtop.This will allow for good railfanning and let me work under the layout if needed.I also plan to candilever it off of shelf brackets no legs as the shelf width will be 18".Here's the basic idea. l
Layout will be in one end of the room which is 10'6" the other dimension is 9'.This is just a preliminary plan.

[Image: GVR_Scan-0003.jpg]

This was a HO plan.I enlarged it width wise to fit in the room and it now is N scale.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Good topic for discussion, Don, but it would help if everyone included their height and other regular operators height[s], then we might have a chance to work out some sort of formula.

I am of the opinion that the electrical runs should be laid out neatly [and labelled],just behind the fascia with branches off to places further to the rear of the layout. Now it remains to be seen if I actually end up practicing what I preach.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More