Weekly photo fun May 1st - 7th, 2015
Charlie B Wrote:Chris, I think the B17 you show is the one that overshot the runway at the Beaver County Air Show several years ago. The Air Heritage group put her back together I am told.
I can't make out the tail number, but the R and DR work. I think the one at Beaver county was 231969 on the tail.
Charlie

It absolutely is! I never knew this until I looked it up. I found some really old "news footage" covering it. There was also a train derailment that day apparently, so its somewhat on topic.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTplxUQJDLA">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTplxUQJDLA</a><!-- m -->

cn nutbar Wrote:If you visit Hamilton Ontario,I highly recommend a visit to our Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum.As well as our famous Lancaster bomber and many more warplanes,last year we had a special visitor---here's a few pictures.

That is definitely going to be my first stop in Canada if I get the chance. I've been wanting to see that Lancaster for a LONG time. They had one at the USAF museum in Ohio, but it was in restoration when I visited many years ago. Does it fly? Gonna have to see if it ever comes close to New Jersey.

That B25 looks great too. Do I see a PBY Catalina body back behind that B17?

Charlie B Wrote:Well, I didn't know there was so much interest in airplanes here. Here is the C123 K that they fly to many air shows around the country.

If anyone is in this area (Beaver Falls, Pa, Beaver County Airport) they are open from 9 to 5 daily. It is interesting just to talk to the old veterans that are there.
Charlie

I've seen that C123 both at Air shows and just randomly flying over my house (presumably to some airshow I didn't hear about).

Ironically, its airplanes that got me into model trains. I used to build model airplanes when I was young, but they always frustrated me. I ended up moving towards trains because Blue-box kits are WAY easier than model airplanes. From there you know the rest!

I'm probably one of the few nuts who goes running the moment I hear an old plane of some kind. I've gotten pretty lucky the last few years, I've had TBM Avengers, P51s, B25s, B17s, and B24s all buzz my house. I'm 80% sure I saw a Corsair once too, but it got away before I could get a good look, but the bent wings really give it away.

Being close to the McGuire, the larger tanker and transport planes tend to fly over, and occasionally some fighters will fly by to refuel.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Hooray, I was able to solder this cross span together while staying sane! Catenary is fun again!

It is not soldered into the poles yet, as I need to cut off the excess. Still, its all coming together!

[Image: P5052760.jpg]

I'll use a dremel tool to cut the "tails" off closer on the hangars (running parallel to the rails). I would use my hard wire clippers, but I worry they'll stress the solder joints too much.

It looks like Track 2 might need to be straightened out, but this won't be a problem. I'll add the outer-most Insulator castings when I'm ready to install the cross spans.

[Image: P5052761.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:That is definitely going to be my first stop in Canada if I get the chance. I've been wanting to see that Lancaster for a LONG time. ........ Does it fly? ........

Oh, yeah, the Lanc flies and usually out my way, too. It also flew to England last fall to participate in a bunch of airshows, flying with the only other airworthy one in existence. The Mitchell flies, too.

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I'm probably one of the few nuts who goes running the moment I hear an old plane of some kind........

There are a few of us around. Wink Goldth There used to be some really good airshows at Mount Hope Airport, just outside Hamilton, Ont. Lots of ex-WWII planes, and a great many of them came up from the U.S., especially those from the Confederate Air Force. Scads of Mustangs, of course, but lots of other warbirds....B-17s, -24s, -25s, and perhaps -29s, I think, and lots of other fighters, including some jets. I always liked, in particular, seeing the P-38 Lightnings. If I recall correctly, the USAF occasionally presented current-day military aircraft, too. I also remember seeing a Globemaster there one time. The nice part of the static portion of the show was that you could walk right up to most of the planes and speak to the owners, even sit in some of the aircraft. My dad was a big fan of airplanes and a very accomplished modeller of them, too.

By the way, your catenary is really starting to look good. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
[Image: IMG_20150502_084531_963%202%20small.jpg]
Steve
The chain with the sign is a nice touch to the seen.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
G.E.C---hopefully you will have a chance to visit Hamilton one day.Doctor Wayne and I could even show you some of the local rail-fanning sites.Regarding the Lancaster,if you have $3000.00 to spare,you can even take a flight which is a real bargain considering someone won a bidding war for a seat on the Lanc when she flew to England for $79,000.00
For our navy fans,here's another Hamilton treasure---HMCS Haida

[Image: P10709713.jpg]
Charlie B Wrote:Well, I didn't know there was so much interest in airplanes here.

Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
cn nutbar Wrote:For our navy fans,here's another Hamilton treasure---HMCS Haida

OK, My first ship, of seven:

And ..... my last ship of seven :

And ..... one from the middle of seven:

Wink Wink Haze Gray, and Underway ! Yeah, sometimes, I do miss it. The first one, USS Lowry DD770, is still my favorite.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!