I need a CNR prototype to match the model
I'm repainting a Rivarossi diner car that I bought from another modeler's estate. He added the extra kitchen door on the side, probably to better match a prototype Canadian National car but try as I might I can't find a close match on the internet or in my library. Can anyone help?
[Image: 002_zpsnakg32ia.jpg]
I thought I might semi-match the 'white' café-bistro cars but those had a rounded 'turtle' roof where as this has a clerestory.
My quick search did not find anything useful either. Sad

The closest I got was a work train diner rebuilt from a heavyweight passenger car. In place of your door, it has a blocked window with a vent installed below.

However, there's nothing to say that CNR didn't have a car like that. CNR seemed to be known for their "one-offs". Wink

Andrew
Hi Glen---I found this picture in Lepkey's "Canadian National Railways"book---not a perfect match but it does have a door

[Image: efd7635b-1677-4823-a37f-0ede9c9e7888.jpg]
I've just had a look through the ca. 1973 CN Passenger Car Equipment book. There doesn't seem to be anything matching your car.
There is a similar car, but without the doors, item M-19, Dining Car 1329. Item M-20, Dining Cars 1330-1335 have a door in the middle but not the one at the left end.
Both series have 3 windows over the kitchen/pantry and 6 over the seats.
It looks as if 1329 was never repainted into the black and white scheme.

(nutbar seems to have done some research too.)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks guys. I did find a close-up of a Dinning car #1333 in CN Lines Volume6 Number 2 but it doesn 't show the entire car but it does show the center door.

If it comes to not finding a close prototype, I may just freelance the car and number and name it myself
Glen:
my book has a big gap in the dining cars between 1303 and 1329. They may have been scrapped by the 70s, but that's where I'd number it.
(I haven't done a thorough check to see if there's some other type of car there.)

The book shows interior plans and mentions other details: trucks, electric system, types of stoves, sometimes toasters (!). I might be able to copy some for you.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks David, that's a big help. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the interior diagrams as well.
I am looking for the original Rivarossi interior, probably find it at a swap meet (attached to another car!)