FRAM II DD in 1:125.5 scale
I'm going to have to build a bigger "photo booth", and get better lighting. Eek

1:125.5 scale ?? The hull I am using is 36" long, the ship I am modeling is 376' 6" long ( 376.5' divided by 3', = 125.5 )
Her beam is 40', and she draws 18'
The beam of the model is 45' , measured with an N scale ruler. It's that close to an N scale model
This shot is the forward part of the superstructure, including Mount 52, the bridge area, the forward stack, and part of the 01 level deck where the torpedo tubes are mounted.

This shot is the full length of the model. Everything that is "dark gray" is part of the "Blue Devil Destroyer" "kit"
Everything white, is scratchbuilt in styrene sheet/rod/strip.

The gun mounts, twin 5" 38, ( starting from the forward mount ) Mount 51, mount 52, and back aft mount 53 ) started out as single barrel mounts...so there were only four barrels :o I had to build a pair for mount 53.

I down loaded several drawings to help me with the build. Unfortunately each of them is a different size, and I have had to calculate the size ratios to 1:125.5, so I can use them. In short... every detail is going to be an adventure in research, and calculation. Applause Nope Applause

There is very little of the original kit that I can use, because the details are of an original Sumner class DD, and not one that has gone through Fleet Rehabilitation And Modernization ( FRAM ). There are four *quick action water tight doors*, built and installed at this time. Each of those doors are built up....and there are 29 individual pieces to each door. :o
Yeah, THIS project is going to be "FUN" Wink Wink Nope
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Nice Thumbsup but don't you have a railroad to run? :wait:
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Nice Thumbsup but don't you have a railroad to run? :wait:
Wink Yes,. . . . but I needed some "Sea Power" to defend it Big Grin

Lowry was the first ship of seven that I served in. My tour was 1963-1965. That old "Tin Can", was my favorite of the seven.
This project has been waiting long enough.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:Each of those doors are built up....and there are 29 individual pieces to each door.

And I suppose they work!!! 357 357 (Now I will sneak off before I get a clip around the ear for being a cheeky young cub Eek )

Keep having fun, Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
JaBear Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:Each of those doors are built up....and there are 29 individual pieces to each door.
And I suppose they work!!! 357 357 (Now I will sneak off before I get a clip around the ear for being a cheeky young cub Eek ) Keep having fun, Cheers, the Bear. Smile

357 357 No, they don't. But I thought about it, and realized that I would then have to build all the "interior" detail, so I decided to go with "non-working".
from one "cheeky young cub", to another, if you really need that clip......I have a spare Icon_twisted Icon_twisted 357 Big Grin Wink
Sumpter250 Wrote:if you really need that clip......I have a spare

Having googled "quick action watertight doors, I now realise that there are several types, however I would have though with the amount of clips you had to make, spares would be at a premium, and I woiuld have been spared a sore ear. 357 357
Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
I got most of the Gun Director antenna detail done. Have a ton of stuff to do today so it will be a while before I can set up the photo booth, and get some pictures up.
Most of the "major construction" (( maybe I should call that "Admiral" construction )) is done now, and it will now be all the little details.
Eek I can't believe that the original kit I started with, only had ONE anchor ! :o :evil: , and it was meant to be glued on, so there are no openings, in the bow, for the anchor chains !!!!
The Air Search Radar antenna will be the easier of the tasks. the Surface Search Radar antenna? THAT will be another story all together.
All the gun barrels have been bored to 5". At 1: 125.5 scale 5" isn't all that big, but , the gun barrels do look better now.
Port side, some of the 01 level supports, port running light, part of the gun director, and the forward stack.

Port side midships, one of the new chocks on the main deck, just to the right you can just make out the handle of one of the quick acting watertight doors, and a side view of the torpedo tubes on the 01 level.

Starboard side midships, Better shot of the torpedo tubes, and you can see the signal flag bins on either side of the forward stack.

I'll move aft and begin construction of the Variable Depth Sonar equipment, for the next step in the build.
I finally found a source of photos which more clearly show the Variable Depth Sonar " machinery ", with some "known dimension items", from which I can determine the sizes of all the parts, so I can now begin to build all the various parts of the VDS, and build it, in 1:125.5 scale.
This will, of course, have to wait a little bit more as I still have the Tern to finish rigging.