HLCX GP38-2
I'm planning on building a Helm lease GP38-2 #3852. I have a handful of detail parts I'll be adding to this P2K model. I'll also be trying out Pacific Western magnetic brake hoses and MU hoses.
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsqsmokyhw.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg6_zps3g0ngdak.jpg]
I was going to start painting today but I decided to hold off and order a Cannon cab and interior kit. Also I noticed the Helm unit has an extended dynamic brake hatch and the P2K model doesn't, is there a kit specific to that style dynamic brake that can be purchased?
[Image: image.jpg1_zps1adarq1i.jpg]
I put together the Cannon cab and it doesn't come close to fitting. The real reason I wanted to use that kit was to complete the cab with the front door open. Instead of cutting the shell and the nose so the cab would fit I decided to remove the door on the P2K cab. I carefully scribed the door to remove it, I'll use the door from the cannon kit to complete the cab.
[Image: image.jpg2_zpsjoxyokth.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg3_zpsvhadsdwt.jpg]
Hello!. Your project is looking good!. Any update?
Thanks postman, no updates yet. I'm waiting for a spare nose with a headlight in it from a member of another forum who was kind enough to give it to me. The headlight will get plated like on the prototype. Once that is done I think it will be ready for paint.
Rscott417 Wrote:Thanks postman, no updates yet. I'm waiting for a spare nose with a headlight in it from a member of another forum who was kind enough to give it to me. The headlight will get plated like on the prototype. Once that is done I think it will be ready for paint.

That remembers me a project that has been on my benchwork for a long time. Modeling a CSX GP38-2 with headlight on the nose.
postman Wrote:Modeling a CSX GP38-2 with headlight on the nose.
This might make you cringe a little then...

I got the nose in the mail, I'll need to notch the sides so it'll fit on the frame but other than that it fits. I sanded off the class lights and headlights, slowly chipping away.
[Image: image.jpg3_zpsqqxydi30.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsvtqgekwk.jpg]
Looks good! Thumbsup . Maybe I´ll start a thread in this forum showing how is going my project.
I was able to cut the sides of the nose and fits pretty snugly. It came out pretty good and I think it'll work. I'll give the nose an alcohol bath and think I'll be ready for paint.
[Image: image.jpg2_zpsrgi5yogc.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zps5twysxzz.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg3_zpslm5senog.jpg]

And with a few detail parts, the coupler lift bar was a real pain but looks much better than the stock set.
[Image: image.jpg2_zpsmvgrpux3.jpg]
Rscott417 Wrote:I was able to cut the sides of the nose and fits pretty snugly. It came out pretty good and I think it'll work. I'll give the nose an alcohol bath and think I'll be ready for paint.
[Image: image.jpg2_zpsrgi5yogc.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zps5twysxzz.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg3_zpslm5senog.jpg]

And with a few detail parts, the coupler lift bar was a real pain but looks much better than the stock set.
[Image: image.jpg2_zpsmvgrpux3.jpg]

Looks good!. Yes, installing the coupler lift bar is so tricky. What part number is that you installed?
postman Wrote:What part number is that you installed?
The lift bar is detail associates 2211

I got some painting done and added a couple decals. None of the parts are pressed in place, quick assembly for a progress shot.
[Image: image.jpg3_zpsrlgfcj3m.jpg]
Finished painting the frame and added sill stripes and a crew in the cab. Just a few other details to paint and install.
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsmrmv4tzl.jpg]
Applause Thumbsup
Looking good Cheers
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Thanks guys, I got a few other details painted and added magnetic MU hoses.
[Image: image.jpg2_zpsjcsnwaij.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsz6cynz8w.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg3_zpsivkwgn5w.jpg]