Rail Salvage Operations
Has anyone modeled a salvage operation? I've seen numerous photos of work trains taking up the abandoned narrow gauge tracks in Colorado.
Not what you have in mind but, I did build a freight car salvage company on a club layout many years ago. I was given a lot of train set cars and I used those for the cars being dismantled-even turn some of them into removable gon loads for operation nights.

I've seen modeled abandon rail lines with ties still in place. The ties was on both sides of the Galion club's main line like a crossing was removed..It was a nice affect.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I've seen a few of those abandoned lines on various layouts. They are indeed a nice touch, but I was thinking that salvaging an abandoned spur line would be an interesting subject. Certainly the photos of the salvage of the High mountain lines are interesting, and interesting history as well.

The spur that went to the top of Mt. McClellan - 11,000+ - solely for the wild flower tours one month per year could not be salvaged for six years after abandonment due to the weather.

On another line, the thirsty work crew drank from a trackside water tank and every one of them ended up in the hospital with severe dysentery, halting the operation completely until they recovered and a safe water supply could be provided. "Beaver's Revenge", which I guess they didn't think of. Colorado stream water contains Giardia lamblia from beavers feces, and a water tank warming in the sun day after day was a perfect petri dish. The colony count must have been close to bug soup by the time they drank from it.

By all accounts, salvaging the high mountain rail lines was as difficult as building them in the first place.
MM, What you suggest could be done and would be interesting..

My thoughts would be 2-3 pieces of brass flex track (cheap at most train shows) few gondolas lettered for the home road,a engine-a roundhouse queen would suffice-few ties for where the rail been removed,a crane,some figures and a switch spiked closed. The old branch line need not to be powered since its a scenic feature.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!