Poll: Would you participate in a new "Get off yer duff" challenge and which would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Finish an on-going project.
10.00%
2 10.00%
Finish a stalled project.
10.00%
2 10.00%
Start (and hopefully finish) a new project.
15.00%
3 15.00%
All or any of the above.
65.00%
13 65.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll for the next Big Blue "Get off yer duff" challenge...
There's been some discussion about having a new Big Blue Challenge, and talk has centred around either completing an on-going or stalled project or starting (and hopefully finishing) a brand new one.

There'd be no restrictions on what model railroad-related project you choose, and no limit on how many times you enter the Challenge: layout work, scratchbuilding, kitbuilding, structures, locomotives, rolling stock, scenery...anything to do with model railroading. There'd also be no special skills required - do the project(s) you want to do and are capable of doing. We want to help you get started or simply get you off your duff and doing something. Goldth

The usual prizes of cash, luxury cars, and exotic vacations may (or may not) be available. Crazy Misngth Misngth

You can vote for any one of the four choices and the poll will run for 15 days, so get off yer duff and vote.

Wayne
" so get off yer duff and vote."

I can't, you left off "none of the above" Crazy Goldth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:" so get off yer duff and vote."

Nah! That option's in the poll's title:

Would you participate in a new "Get off yer duff" challenge and which would you prefer?

If you don't wish to participate, you don't get to vote! Misngth Misngth Misngth Misngth
I think that "management" feels that participation might be low, making the idea of a Challenge not worth the trouble to organise. Forum participation here, as on many other sites, has dropped off, and the Challenge was suggested as a means of getting more people engaged.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:
Tyson Rayles Wrote:" so get off yer duff and vote."

Nah! That option's in the poll's title:

Would you participate in a new "Get off yer duff" challenge and which would you prefer?

If you don't wish to participate, you don't get to vote! Misngth Misngth Misngth Misngth
I think that "management" feels that participation might be low, making the idea of a Challenge not worth the trouble to organise. Forum participation here, as on many other sites, has dropped off, and the Challenge was suggested as a means of getting more people engaged.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, you are right on every count. I guess with all the social media sites, people have less time to post on forums like Big Blue. I don't frequent Facebook or any of those types of sites, I guess my age shows. But as posting declines, so does participation in challenges. I'm all for this one and so is Mikey, we hope that people haven't stopped modeling just because of this decline, so let's see what everyone is doing, or hopes to do...

As for me, my modeling is in limbo right now, everything is still in boxes ready for the next move. When that will be is anyone's guess, but we're prepared to go on a moment's notice when we can, and I hope to be able to start back again soon after that.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Any way of telling how many " lurkers " there are on a given day or week ? If so , are their numbers reasonably high ?

I think that forum posts are down on many fronts ....not sure why but probably a variety of things . Maybe it has just run it's course . I'm on about 50 Facebook Groups and that venue does have it's limitations , it's various idiots and associated problems . But there is also good info that can be used and / or commented on . I'm not a social media type ( no cell phone , texter etc. ) ....but I do like certain FB Groups , mostly old car related but some mrring including trolleys .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Wayne, I was licking my chops at the thought of really diving into getting my roundhouse/engine service facility done seeing as how the gauntlet had been thrown down. Now my wife broke her hand and requires surgery next week, if the swelling has gone down enough, I am on double duty on the home front.

Count me in for the next one though, there will be a ribbon cutting being done by a spinning turntable. 357

Brent
BATMAN Wrote:.... Now my wife broke her hand and requires surgery next week, if the swelling has gone down enough, I am on double duty on the home front......

I dunno, Brent...if your wife wasn't going to assist on your roundhouse and service facility, I don't see how that will preclude your participation. Can't she heal without your help? Crazy Misngth Misngth My wife is always telling me to do all sorts of things myself....nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Eek

Wayne

"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
I was only kidding about the "none of the above". That said with everything I have going on right now I know there is no point in my entering the challenge. My next project is to get the benchwork done for the extension into the hallway. I drilled the hole thru the wall a year ago and even built the depot that goes in there months ago but nothing since. Just too much other stuff going on right now. I need to go back to work full time so I have more free time! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:I was only kidding about the "none of the above". That said with everything I have going on right now I know there is no point in my entering the challenge. My next project is to get the benchwork done for the extension into the hallway. I drilled the hole thru the wall a year ago and even built the depot that goes in there months ago but nothing since. Just too much other stuff going on right now. I need to go back to work full time so I have more free time! Icon_lol

Uhh, been there, done that... There are many times that I though if I could only go back to work and get back that free time that I used to have, all will be right with the world. Retirement isn't what it's cracked up to be, no shuffleboard or line dancing like they show in those brochures. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I was reluctant as I have a few projects to do on the trains but also have a few to finish around the house. I had to remodel the bathroom due to a leaky shower and managed to luck out on the floor problem this caused so I installed a full tub instead of shower. I got the floor covering yesterday so there is about 2 hours work left that I can easily do in 2 days Icon_lol . The rest of the homework can wait so I will join in the challenge if it is decided to be made.
Charlie
I've got so many stalled or unfinished project I could fill those options and as far as the new projects I have more of those then I do the stalled ones. I just started thinking of a new project since the last GERN email sent out. I'm in for a new project but I need to know the timeline for this one. Not sure I can get any one of these done in time with the kid as my "helper". But I'll try.

Dave
So far there are 14 positive votes. If everyone of those would enter the challenge, we'd have a pretty good one going. Let's hear from a few more of you. I'd be on that list with several stalled and new projects, but they're all packed up in boxes waiting for their new home, wherever that turns out to be.... Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I voted "Start and hopefully finish" if building benchwork and laying track is included in that option.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
I don't think we can be too picky as to what defines a project Goldth ........maybe even reading old MR 's !"
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.