Already tired of the hype
Just my bad luck we are in the path for the solar eclipse blackout Monday. Our little town of 1,400 is supposed to swell to 80.000 Curse . It will probably make some of the locals go Shoot . We are a tourist town but the usually means 5.000 in a day. Is it Tuesday yet? Eek Nope :wait:
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Just my bad luck we are in the path for the solar eclipse blackout Monday. Our little town of 1,400 is supposed to swell to 80.000 Curse . It will probably make some of the locals go Shoot . We are a tourist town but the usually means 5.000 in a day. Is it Tuesday yet? Eek Nope :wait:

Gee, that sounds like Sun City on October 1st. All of a sudden there's an instant flood of snowbirds, each one driving a 40' RV towing a smart car, so I can truly relate. Wallbang Wallbang

Yeah, I agree with you about they hype, I think it's invented by some very resourceful travel agents. There are people spending thousands just to be in the right place at the right time and then it's all over in a hour or so and then back home when they could see it all on TV and not spend a dime or risk going blind looking at the eclipse.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Not the attitude I'd expect from the admin of a hobby-centered forum. Going to see the eclipse is no different than going to see a steam engine run or ride rare mileage. I considered going down to Carbondale on Amtrak, but didn't like the transportation options available.
What does being a hobby forum administrator have to do with an eclipse?
Mike

railohio Wrote:Not the attitude I'd expect from the admin of a hobby-centered forum. Going to see the eclipse is no different than going to see a steam engine run or ride rare mileage. I considered going down to Carbondale on Amtrak, but didn't like the transportation options available.
If you want to take the time and expense of traveling to one of the sweet spots to stand around with a crowd of other like-mined folks, by all means do so. I just don't see the value of being there, just like maybe some folks don't like the idea of standing around watching someone run their model trains. I'm entitle to be able to express my opinion, just like we've always allowed you to express yours. If watching and eclipse is considered a hobby, there's not a bunch of them to go see, so I can see their need to gather being as the next one is so many years away. Me, I'm happy to stay home and watch it on TV, perhaps go outside and soak in a 75% eclipse, but I'm not going to get excited about it, and I wouldn't put down the admin of an eclipse forum for saying he wouldn't want to go anywhere by train....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
To be blunt if I had a choice of going to see a RS- 1 or RS-3 switch cars or stand and watch the eclipse there is no contest the Alcos wins.

On the bright side.

All seats sold out on Amtrak's eclipse train so,the eclipse was good for Amtrak.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Yeah we are running an eclipse train as well and it's been sold out for months.
Mike

Then there are people like me who are using the eclipse as an excuse. One of my train friends lives in a town that is right on the centerline of the eclipse so it's a great excuse to go and visit for a few days.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Thumbsup 10-4 Tom, sounds good to me! Cheers
Mike

I see in some places that the backup on the highways are up to 15 miles long waiting to get onto a single-lane road. Some car rental companies are canceling rentals because they're overbooked and some hotels have upped their rates to $1000 a night. Some places are selling eclipse glasses that don't work and could harm the wearer. One company that was featured on the news said they were making 500,000 pair of glasses a day. How do you know which are real and which are phonies? Lots of people taking advantage of all this, that's for sure...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I get my own solar eclipse every evening 'round about sunset. You can probably tell how excited I am about the big event.

Wayne
Yeah Don it is getting beyond stupid! Icon_lol
Mike

I'd be pretty fired up about it if I lived in the line where it will be a total eclipse. It is a pretty amazing and rare occurrence after all. Minnesota will have a partial eclipse but weather forecast calls for rain so it will be a total nonevent for me.
I experienced a partial several years ago when I was in the home office. It got pretty dark but the birds were really amazing. It become very silent and all the little guys went to sleep in the middle of the day. It was even more amazing when the sun came back. The birds made all the noise they could to recover all the lost songs. Have an eye on the birds and watch how they react in your case.
How are cats and dogs reacting?
Reinhard
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Yeah Don it is getting beyond stupid! Icon_lol
Yeah, I just read where the locals are renting tents in their backyard for $300 a night. I guess if they want that badly to be able to spend 122 seconds in darkness, it's really OK with me if that's what they want to do. It's just that I can remember other eclipses and I don't remember all this hype...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and