The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!!
When we first moved in here we had direct tv installed. We had had direct TV at the railroad apartment and wanted to continue. We needed a new box so we just signed up for a new account but of course they did not let us know we would lose legacy privileges which meant giving up a lot of channels. 
      The house was wired for cable so I told the installer he could just tap into the junction box and the signal could be picked up from any of the cable outlets. 
     Next thing I know he was crawling around in the attic. I asked him what he was doing and he said he had to run a cable from the old outside cable box to the inside junction box which told me he knew nothing about what he was doing. I told him to get his supervisor to come here, and when he did they still didn't have a clue. I told them to mount the damn dish and where to run the wire, then showed them exactly where to tie into. Job done and worked fine for about 6 months, then we lost the signal. I called and of course went through all the baloney of turning off unplugging etc. They finally said they would send a tech out but it would cost me 49.95. (All the equipment was theirs as I paid a rental fee) Of course I got POed and told them forget it, I would pay the DTV contract off and quit in 6 months when the contract expired. 
     I figured since I was stuck I would see if I could find the problem, so with the ladder propped against the house I made the way to the dish and found the coax connection had not been made water tight and the signal wire was a copper coated steel wire which had been completely dissolved. 
I took this picture of this great installation, knowing had I paid the 49 dollar fee I would never have known it was shoddy work that was the problem      
     While I was there I took a picture of the ground wire installation........another perfect job.     
We had our DTV back after I fixed it and waterproofed it and when the contract obligation was filled I called to cancel, and I was amazed at what they would do for me in order to keep us, including offering the legacy package without a contract continuation. We dropped them, I bought a 28 dollar antenna, and we get 66 channels, and a roku for streaming and life is good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 12-21-2018, 10:25 AM