The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!!
Good morning all. 
To be fair to the younger folks, The Maine is no longer even mentioned. That happened in 1898. "Remember the Maine" was important to folks then. It does not diminish the importance of a date if those living did not have the living experience. Many people now living were not alive on the day John F Kennedy was murdered. That day's memory to those living at the time was also one we could never forget, but you can not expect to remember with the same intensity what you did not actually live through. My memory of the Kennedy murder  and of 9-11 are far stronger than the memory of Pearl Harbor, which happened 2 years before I was born. 

My dad served in the Pacific but even though he enlisted in 1942 he was stationed in the States for a couple years before he was assigned to an LST that was freshly launched in Aliquippa, Pa. He sailed it down the rivers and through the Panama Canal and that was late 1944. His brother had the good fortune to serve aboard one of the few LST's that served in both theaters. One uncle on my mothers side also served aboard an LST so I have done a great deal of reading about them, nicknamed Large Slow Targets.  

These are a few reasons I hate the re-writing of our history. The young generation needs to be made aware of the sacrifices that previous generations have made for them. 

I was working on my Centipedes today. I finally disassembled one truck. I have to really do some serious revision to the wiper set up because it is absolutely awful. the wipers actually loose contact with the wheel which is causing the problem. I will figure it out. 

Sunny but cold here today. I will probably just goof off the rest of the day.

Yes, I will think of our casualties at Peral Harbor and pray we will bring all of our servicemen and women home to their families. My grandaughter (Grand sons wife) just returned from the UAE last week after a 6 month tour. She is career Air Force. 

stay warm and safe.
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 12-07-2020, 02:48 PM