The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!!
(12-09-2020, 09:10 AM)Schraddel Wrote: @ Charlie,

those sharp kinks of the wipers are the main reason for a not reliable pick up.
All should be straight and in an certain angle bend outwards. The angle should comply to the lateral movements of the wheelsets. The pick ups should still bridge the gap even when the wheel is on it's farthermost distance point from the frame away.
It will then be a real hassle to remount the bottom plate, something like taming spider legs. But when properly done the wage is a reliable pickup.

@All:
Here on the other side of the Big Pond the time is 1604 (UTC +1), cloudy and rather dusky. Temperature is about 4°C and the air is very humid, just like short before raining.
Just good reasons to make a can of tea.

Lutz

Hi Lutz
Thanks for the reply, those wipers are so flimsy they won't hold their shape, and there is no longer enough tension left in the metal to work. The sharp kinks are 90 degree angles because the wipers slide down from the axle cover to the side of the wheels if you look here     you may be able to see them. From day one there was a problem but I always blamed the track. What happens is all 8 contact points (4 on each truck) are loosing contact at the same time. I will be making a nice positive set up like Wayne did on the Bowser A5 he built for me. The N gauge version of the Centipedes uses a different set up for the pickups but still has problems as seen on a youtube video. In that they used conductive grease on the wipers which I believe is asking for more trouble sooner or later. 

Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 12-09-2020, 11:18 AM