What Would You Do?
If you had to restart the hobby from ground zero knowing what you know now what would you do?
Would you:
A: Choose another era? All steam? All early diesel? Both? The 60s? 70s? 80s? 90s? Today?
B. Downsize your "dream" layout and use the "kiss" method?
C. Prototype or freelance?
D. Go with how you currently model?
----------------------------------------------
For me:
A. I would model the 60s or if freelanced 1958/59.. 
B. I would stick with industrial switching layouts..
C. This is a tough question for me to answer. While I like and did model the C&O, I always had a secrete desire to model either the U.P or M.P-I like M.Ps Jenks Blue scheme.
D. No way! I would cut out the multi road names and return to my roots-one road name prototype or freelance.
As far as freelance I would stay with Summerset Ry with a twist.. I would use two Atlas RS-1s for motive power since the era would be 58/59.. What can I say? I like those West India Fruit & Steamship boxcars with the railroad car ferry on the side.
I would without a doubt keep Kiss in mind and probably stay with simple DC operation since I still enjoy using my Control Master 2 or Control Master 20.

Larry
Engineman
SSRy

“Shut one’s eyes tight or open one’s arms wide, either way, one’s a fool.” Flemeth-the witch of the Wilds.
I did that in spring 2018 and it did not change anything. Just a better and solid benchwork.

My "dream" would be a square room with four interconnected ISLs around the room. Each side a different theme

- 2000+ Northeast CSX, NS
- 2000+ Southeast CSX, NS
- 2000+ LA basin UP
- 1980+ Northeast CR

and every six month reworking one of the themes while the other three stay untouched fully operational.
The workbench in the middle of the room.

End of dream have go get hard rolls from the bakery :-)
Reinhard
Everything would pretty much be the same other than the layout would be smaller and the other two railroads would be represented by passive and not active staging.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
From ground zero?

Wish I'd started with N-Scale - Not HO.

Wish I'd read the manuals sooner.

Wish I had friends and neighbours who were also Model Railroaders so I wasn't working in a vacuum.

Wish I'd joined a club.
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
I recently had the opportunity to start over, and I chose to just do what I was doing before.

Stay with N scale, not only because that's what I have in rolling stock and structures, but still because I can get a lot more in less space.
Stay with freelancing, I don't know any better and am too old to change.
Stay with "today", meaning I can have new and old structures and they'll fit in.
In other words, I'm trodding down the same path that I did before, I enjoy kits, kitbashing and scratchbuilding and scenery, running trains is not my prime motivation, creating things is....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I would have designed the layout as an around the room instead of a 13 X 9 solid area.
I also would have built another level 2' above the floor while I was creating the benchwork instead of having to add in in later. I still haven't started this level.
I would have gone all Aristo Craft track, i had some LGB that presented issues when used with Aristo.
I wish I had learned about the open house tours earlier, so i could have learned more about track planning.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???