The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
I just watched the video about the ghost. Very interesting. The article mentions that the highway is "approximately 272.66 miles." I wonder what the actual length is. Also interesting in that I have been watching the "Ghostbusters" remake this morning.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(03-14-2023, 11:12 AM)FiatFan Wrote: I just watched the video about the ghost.  Very interesting.  The article mentions that the highway is "approximately 272.66 miles."  I wonder what the actual length is.  Also interesting in that I have been watching the "Ghostbusters" remake this morning.

Tom

AZ-87 goes from Payson and joins I-10 at Pacacho Peak, about 150 miles (approximately). There is a stretch north of Payson where it turns into AZ-260, then becomes AZ-87 once again and ends at Second Mesa on the reservation. If you include the section of 260, it is indeed "approximately", 277.66 miles. The section that is most haunted between Mesa and Payson is referred to as the Beeline Highway. Very dangerous and very crowded, especially on summer weekends. Head-on and multi-car accidents are common as are 5-mile backups going south on Sunday afternoons in the summer.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don: blocking spam eMails is probably an endless and useless task. Somehow, I get mail purportedly from my cousin but when I put the cursor over his name it shows a different source every time.
About half the garbage gets caught by my spam filter, as well as the occasional legit message.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Good morning everyone, going to be a chilly day today, back into the high 60's. I'm confused, no, the weather reporting is confusing. AccuWeather says, "afternoon showers" for today, but look at their hour-by-hour and they show rain from 9 to 12, then again at 4 to 6, no rain in the afternoon.  Wallbang . Anyway, I expect it'll be wet sometime today. Flagstaff has rain early, turning to snow later in the day. That's got to be fun. Nope

David, I find my spam filter loves to take good things and leave the spam go through. I get more spam though Big Blue than though my normal email.

Been taking it easy this week, still haven't gotten back to the workshop. Going to try to make a run to Costco, but not if it's raining out. Beyond that, just a few household chores, nothing exerting though.

I hope everyone has a good day, I understand there will be lots of storms to contend with, so stay safe....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy and 32 headed for near 50. Almost as warm as Don. Tomorrow won't be nearly as nice. High of 42 by mid morning and then falling along with rain sleet and snow.

Pretty quiet day yesterday. Tried copying some 8mm films to digital format but the film broke so I will have to order film splicing tape which could take a while. Only activities for today will be a trip to the gym and some porch sitting this afternoon although I may go for a walk as long as the weather is so nice.

Gas price is up to its usual goofiness. One station is $3.29. Across the street is $3.19. Other stations around town don't know which way to go so they are compromising at $3.22

All stay safe.

Tom

Good morning everyone. 
        The disaster clean up continues in East Palestine. There is a decent story in the morning paper if you care to read it. It isn't media hype so it is pretty informative. The link works best in an incognito window derailment 

I worked on the removable bridge for the layout yesterday, It was one of those "think about it " projects. I did not want to add anything to the existing tables for it to sit on because I had already taken a foot from the aisle so I decided to use 1/4 inch pins to locate the thing. I will go into detail on my layout thread. I hope it works because I have another one to do too. 

It is sunny and 46 right now which is the predicted high for the day. I think it will get a little warmer. I may spend an hour on the sunporch watching the birds an counting my blessings.  I hope everyone has a wonderful day

Charlie
Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and nastiness is on the way. 43 now falling to the upper 20s by 5 o'clock with rain, snow, and 40 mph winds.

Got my waterbed mattress yesterday and the liner is out for delivery today so I should be able to sleep in my bed a day earlier than originally expected. Not much else going on other than a trip to the gym later on.

All stay safe.

Tom

Good Morning

I hope all goes well with your bed Tom. I took my waterbed down 3 years ago and I really miss it. I think it may be back in service before long. Best sleep I ever got. 

I worked on the layout lift out section yesterday and I got the thing figured out. It will be a little more complicated than I wanted but I should only need it when moving trains from one section to another. The lift out was easy. I was figuring on putting track on it permanently but then I would have to have a way to connect on either end. I have decided the best way is a long section (4 foot) of flex track that I can place in permanent guides which will give me a much easier section to insert than a couple 4 inch sections. 

NS has 27000 tons of dirt that has been dug out and there is no place to take it, The governor told them they would not be able to use the landfill in MI and another state has done the same.  I am trying to figure why a railroad would be trucking this instead of loading it in gondolas for shipping. That would be about 270 car loads and there are plenty of surplus coal gondolas in storage. It will take about 1500 truck loads to clean it up. 

We have sunshine and 58 degrees for the day. 

Cheers
Charlie
I dug out a second old Walthers kit -- a shorty diner. I think it's older than the Oscar I'm working on, but the steps with coupler pocket are the same casting. It's the "Universal" pocket that nothing fits in anymore.
Problems. The castings are crap. The material is fragile. The steps and the trucks are the same stuff. Somehow I have 2 sets of both the trucks and the steps. The sideframe castings screw onto the bolsters which are rivetted to the floor. Most of the sideframes have fractured into a lot of pieces. One of the ones that has been on the floor all this time has been glued back together. Most of the rest are in a lot of pieces. I think there may be 2 that are whole plus another that isn't straight.
The step castings -- both coach trap-door style and the ladder type -- have "universal" coupler pockets RP22. The instructions say to break some of the posts off from inside to install Kadees. The posts break very easily but no cleanly. The same castings in the Oscar are in a silvery metal and the posts do not snap off.
Good point: the roof is plastic.
This was a second hand kit.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Happy Green Day, gang.

15 now headed for 25 and wind speeds will top that at near 35 mph.

The waterbed is filled but I'm a little concerned that the heater may not be working. The water doesn't seem to be getting any warmer. I'll give it another day. It would seem a waste to have to drain the bed right after filling it. Not much planned for today other than a trip to the gym and then a brief stop at Menards.

All stay safe.

Tom

Good morning good people and a very HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY to ya all.

Been among the missing for a few days, thought I'd spend it relaxing at Del Webb Hospital. I tripped on a curbing and was concerned since I hit my head. After two days of saying that I broke this or that, they decided I didn't break anything and let me go home. In the meantime they had me trussed up with all sorts of braces from head to toe, literally. The only upside is that Del Webb has excellent food, you call in your order from a large menu and the food shows up about a hour later. I'm OK, still hurt from the fall, but glad I did go get checked out.

It rained on Tuesday, anywhere from 1/4" to 2". The worse was up in Sedona where Oak Creek flooded and it spread. Highway 89 is still closed. There was some local flooding but I couldn't keep track since the hospital gets some 60 channels but only one of them is local. I guess we're getting some of those storms that hit California. Major flooding there and in other parts of the country.

Take care, be careful and stay safe.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hello Blue
Just checking in.
Rain overnight has moved east. 50 this morning but going down during the day to a Hi of 30 tomorrow.
Watching the news which is more talk than news but my morning coffee is good.
I'm Irish & English so today I don't have to pretend.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
Good morning.
        50 degrees and rain here with falling temperatures for the week ahead, of course that is subject to change according to what the weather really does. 

I didn't get much done on the trains yesterday so no update. 

Nothing else note worthy so cheerio and video 
Charlie
Good morning folks

It is a pleasant 54 at this time. High is supposed to be 60.

The last few days were brutal. At work we had concrete pours with temperatures in the 30’s with winds gusting up to 45 MPH. They were small pours but were drawn out by mistakes made by the concrete plant. On Tuesday the first two trucks were loaded with the wrong concrete mix. We had to wait for over an hour for new trucks to be dispatched. The total pour was 36 yards which is four trucks. However the last truck was supposed to have 6 yards but it only had 4. So, we had to wait around for another truck. On Wednesday we had another small pour of 23 yards; 3 trucks. Problem was the first two trucks arrived without delivery tickets. Since we could not tell what the mix contained, we could not release the trucks to pour. After a bunch of phone calls we finally got emails with copies of the tickets and the third truck came with the delivery tickets for all three trucks. Yesterday I had to take my wife into Philadelphia for an appointment related to her Social Security disability application. Needless to say I was exhausted by the afternoon the past three days.

I did work on the walls for the Morgan Building kit. I have not had a successful outcome regarding the mortar lines on the wall.

This weekend we hope to do some yard clean up. The wind blew over the arbor, so I need to fix that. There are some bushes that need to be trimmed. Around the house there is usual cleaning to take care of including laundry.

I would like to run some trains. I may install a couple of decoders. I will continue to work on the walls for the Morgan Building.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Tom:
who noticed the wrong mix? Was it on the delivery tickets?
David
Moderato ma non troppo