The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
(08-01-2022, 08:38 AM)tompm Wrote: I was planning to finishing tuning up the Tropicana reefers but before I did I decided to run the locomotives I planned to use. One of the locos kept stalling. I made sure the track was clean but since the other loco ran fine I had suspicions something else was wrong. I turned the loco over and found the bottom of the trucks soaked with lubricant. I took the shell off and found lubricant everywhere. I then removed the rea trucks and took apart the truck. The gears, axles, and case are soaked in oil. I tried my best to clean and dry everything. I was going to reassemble everything when I discovered I could not find my tube of grease. I thought I bought some when I bought the gear lubricant. That is what lead to the trip to Michael's. Since they did not have any and I could not find any online with a reasonable delivery time I will stop at my least favorite hobby shop on the way home from work. I am looking for suggestions on what to do with cleaning and lubricating the loco.

I hope everybody has a good day.

tom I use 90% alcohol to clean up oil or grease as long as there is no painted surface involved, my favorite loco lube can be found at most auto parts Stores it's called silver goop a mix of collided silver and synthetic oil, i thin it down with 96% alcohol, alcohol evaporates and leaves a slick film of lube in parts, not cheap but I've been using the same tube for 40 years.
Jim

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by jim currie - 08-01-2022, 09:45 AM