The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Good morning.
        I had a good day in the train room yesterday. I got my Baldwin Passenger sharknose running and installed a decoder in a 3 truck Shay. I repaired 4 ore Jennies and had time to run some trains. 

I find it interesting that they are still generating at lake Mead. There is more to the formula than using water, with a 200 foot drop in head it takes a lot more water to generate the same amount of power. I think the formula is H X CFS X62.5 /550 =KW H is the head in feet and CFS is cubic feet of water per second. the 62.5 is the weight of a cubic foot of water. It looks like they have about 750 feet of head total at high pool and a drop of 200 feet that is a serious increase of water use.  We have had droughts many times so I wonder how bad this one really is, or is the real reason behind this the increasing need for water by the massive increase of populations in these areas over the last 50 years. The stress changes on the concrete in the dam could also be a factor. 

I still have some sticks and leaves to burn and it looks like a good day for that. I have to do it in our fire pit because of the chance of sparks but the ground and fields are still wet from the week end rain so little problem there. 

Praying everyone stays well 
        Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 12-05-2022, 10:35 AM