The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Good morning folks

It is a brisk 38 this morning on the job site with a cold wind blowing off the Schuylkill River. The river is up from Friday/Saturday rain meaning we can’t access the riverside of the weir. The water is below the top of the cofferdam, but the causeway is flooded. High will be 51 if the weather guessers are right.

Not sure what happen this weekend as nothing went as planned. I did get to the bottom of the laundry hamper. Moved and cleaned behind the sofa. Found a huge cache of dog toys and dust bunnies the size of elephants. Couldn’t do anything outside due to the rain and then the wind. We did make the grocery store, produce store, and meat store runs. Drove down to Delaware to get gas. It was $3.25. My wife got it on Thursday for $3.08. With my grocery store points I paid $2.45.

I thought I would have gotten more done with the trains, but this weekend was a disappointment. I repaired a newly acquired Intermountain boxcar. It had a ladder off that required gluing. Granted this was new old stock I got off that auction site but this has been happening quite a lot lately with my Intermountain purchases. Four out of the last ten boxcars I acquired had either doors and/or ladders and/or some other random part loose in the box. To add to the disappointment I found a Walthers kit boxcar that someone else assembled that has the wrong trucks and they are causing the car to derail. I understand wanting it to look like the prototype but why did you not use the trucks that came with the kit? Instead you used trucks that have to be forced onto the bolster.

I did start planning possibly the next layout project. I finally figured out a solution to my grade crossing and passenger station conflict. I will move the road under the tracks. This will require obtain a bridge or two, retaining walls, and removing some pink foam. It will allow me to extend the station platforms and possibly install a fourth track at the station. I did enter a bunch of rolling stock into my inventory program.

Today hopefully will be uneventful unlike last night. Just as I was getting ready for bed heard a loud boom and crash. Went outside to look and saw a nasty car crash six houses down from ours. An SUV had slammed into a parked car pushing the parked car fully into the neighbor’s front yard. The striking vehicle was destroyed on the front passenger side including breaking the wheel off. The impact was so hard the striking vehicle spun around and the air bags deployed. Our street has a 15 MPH speed limit and the accident happened about a hundred feet from a stop sign. The only person involved was the driver of the SUV who appeared to be uninjured but was taken to the hospital. This is the second accident in the last six months at basically the same spot. Since we moved here in 1991 there have been at least 25 accidents on our block. It is so bad we tell visitors not to park on our street.

Maybe tonight I can get something done with the trains.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!! - by tompm - 03-06-2023, 07:51 AM