advice on styrene wraps to add rivet detail
Looks good, but I agree: with the boards on the outside, the nbw detail is almost "required". Wink Goldth

Wayne
Ditto with what Wayne says...in general, but here in reference to the boards & nbw detail.

Just a question - are there pictures of this store layout on another thread somewhere? If not, can you start one?

Thanks,

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Icon_lol okay okay... NBW castings coming then.

the store layout has been featured in a couple of threads both here and on the "other Gauge" as a background for some shots of various locos. Maybe Squidbait can bring in his fancy camera and take some shots of the current layout next weekend. We have been discussing removing the current layout and starting over... so its probably a good idea to get som pics now Goldth
For those interested, I started a thread on the store layout over here. If I get some pics of Bob's new mike this weekend, I'll post them there too.
It is looking very nice. Nice to see custom steam locomotives! Seeing freelancers truly use their freedom to be creative (as opposed to as an excuse) is one of the most exciting aspects of the hobby, imo. I'm sure that many customers will be quite taken by your unique locomotive!

Excellent work!
Cheers
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
OK, I took some time to grab some shots of Bob's spiffy new mike on the store layout this weekend.

We need a bigger store, with room for backdrops on both ends of the layout.... and a layout that I can shoot from more than a couple of angles.... and a bigger store. :p

Here she is backing past the Junction station:
[Image: 1012-4.jpg]

Here she's pulling freight through the Junction:
[Image: 1012-2.jpg]

... and heading the other way:

[Image: 1012-1.jpg]

If you want to hear what she sounds like, I've posted a couple of videos on the store layout thread.
Nice pictures of a good-looking locomotive, Squidbait, but I still have to agree with you on the tender: I think that she'd look even better with a shorter tender. Wink
Here's the exact same tender after a bit of cropping, along with a few other modifications:
[album]156[/album]

Wayne
Sound like a ploy to get your hands on my old tender Wayne Icon_lol

Might have something slightly more suitable available as a Rivarossi repair came into the store and its simply not repairable. Going to offer to buy the unit so I can get me hands on the tender... which looks much like this one.

I still think the tender looks fine other than the damaged corner so Tongue

Attached Files Image(s)

bob_suruncle Wrote:I still think the tender looks fine other than the damaged corner so Tongue

Even with the half-melted backup light? Tongue Tongue Icon_lol
hmmmm now Wayne noted that he modified his tender to shorten it... maybe ..... OH wait! I cant go smaller or the full size Tsunami will never fit in there.... as it was it just barely fits with the speaker I installed! Might be able to fit everything in the Rivarossi tender though. Its about the same length but not as tall

I also have one of these Bachmann tenders ... but as I recall its about the same size as the one I used and would require me to shave grabs and ladders off of it.... plus the loco isnt a bad runner for what it is.

Attached Files Image(s)

bob_suruncle Wrote:Might have something slightly more suitable available as a Rivarossi repair came into the store and its simply not repairable. Going to offer to buy the unit so I can get me hands on the tender... which looks much like this one.

Looks similar to this one, too, which I believe is from Tyco:
[album]866[/album]

Wayne
so whadaya think? is the Rivarossi tender more suitable? As squidbait can attest I am VERY concerned about what others think Icon_lol

seriously.. give me your opinion on the other tender option.
Hey, just because I generally prefer short tenders is not to say that I think you should, too. Wink In my opinion, the Rivarossi tender would look good behind that loco. But it's your railroad and, as you mentioned, the speaker won't likely fit in a shorter tender. That puts you in sorta the same situation as many prototype roads faced: a larger tender is needed to address a particular operating situation. If the sense of aesthetics of railfans somewhere is upset, tell 'em to take their cameras elsewhere. Misngth Goldth

Wayne
ok,kinda off topic here but,wayen,what size wire do you use for grabs? i have a bunch of .010 guitar string laying around and was wondering if it would be appropriate.thanks.--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
I usually use .012" brass or stainless steel wire, but .010" is probably closer to scale. In HO scale, .011" represents about one inch.

Wayne