Tour Ship
Schraddel Wrote:This is the type of winch mounted on Diana. It has not a cast iron casing, but is manufactured out of sheet metal.The side frames are larger than on this model, a more recangular shape (photo) and the back side (towards to protect the passengers!) and the top are covered with additional sheets.
A electric motor is mounted just below the brake drum. There is an additional spur gear on the shaft of the brake drum into which the gears of the motor will connect. As described the motor is facing backwards and has a 90° gearhead.
The cranks are not mounted actually, but still stored under the winch for an case of emergency. Hope i could help you.
Lutz
Thumbsup Thumbsup
...and help me you did !!!! Big Grin That is going to be a fun project in itself, to build !!!
So, in the ship photo, I can actually see part of the large gear, at the forward end of the winch ! I didn't catch that the first time I looked at it. 8-) 8-) Thumbsup
This is looking at the aft end of the winch, and, from left to right we have: 1- the brake drum 2- the main gear ( visible in the ship picture ) 3- the "wildcat" ( for the anchor chain ) 4- Capstan, for handling line.
The motor drive would have to be disengaged to use the crankshaft/cranks.
I think I may have a scale motor casting that could be used for the drive motor, but that could also be scratch built.    
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread