Tour Ship
In this photo, are eight of the twenty-seven wood doors, that have to be built and installed. Each of the doors is built up with 12 separate pieces of 0.020" X 0.035" strip basswood. ( 0.012" X 0.040" would have been better, but the .020 X.035 was just a little "stronger", and, therefore, better for my old fingers to work with.)

The white styrene " assembly " above the doors, is the Cutting Jig, for the lumber. There are three pieces of styrene, that run horizontally, and end at the vertical line, just to the right of center. These are the "guides" for the Xacto Chisel blade I used to "chop" the pieces. The styrene pieces glued above , and/or, below the horizontal ones, determine the length that the wood pieces are cut to.
In this photo, a better view of the assembly jig, used to put the doors together.    
The door, side and top/bottom rails are assembled first. Top rail, and left side rail, then the small rectangle of styrene, with the "tab" on it is used to set the side rails parallel, before the bottom rail is glued on.
The panel, seven "boards" ( trimmed to exact width, is then glued in between the side rails, above the bottom rail.
Lastly the bottom of the "window frame" is glued in, to finish the door assembly. It does go quickly enough - - - cutting all the pieces "takes forever" :o
I have learned, that wood glue doesn't adhere to styrene all that well, so the assembled parts can be safely removed from the jig, with just a little care.
The assembly jig is taped down to a small piece of Vinyl-Asbestos floor tile, which also doesn't "hang on" to wood glue.
Seven of these doors will finish off all the doors on the "Shelter Deck", and leave one for the "Bridge Deck", so I have 14 more to build to finish out the "Bridge Deck". The wood doors are a "tight fit" in the door openings, and are secured in place with ACC, applied from the inside of the door.
Glass will be attached to the inside of the door,- - - -And - - - - - then the windows, with curtains, shades, etc., before the overhead decks are glued in place.
Those 12 light interior doors, are going to be a real "task" to get right......I may "cheat" a little on the size of each "light", or maybe make them nine light doors instead. Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread