sumpter250's 2010 Spring Bash Challenge
Nice , like the pumps.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
In this shot, I got the crane cab doors done, and the outriggers. You can also see the vent on the roof, the generator, the conduit run from the generator to the distribution box, where the pumps get plugged in, and, back from the top of the door, the fuel filler pipe.

The steps had to be removed to install the outriggers, so I will have to either get to the LHS, and buy some steps, or make them up from brass flat strip.........it's a matter of ambition. You can also see some of the end beam detail on the flats. ( Brass NBW castings, and grab irons ).
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Got some work done on the "tender" flat. Started routing the "plumbing", added safety rails on top of the oil tank, and "handgrabs" for ladder access to the top.
I still haven't figured out exactly how I will do the hoses, and support structure for them. I have to consider what would be the most logical (and safe) way of actually transferring fuel and water, from the "tender" to the crane. I'm currently thinking of a tilt down platform, that the crew can work from. Whatever, there will be some angle iron cutting and welding that will have to be done.
Camera batteries died while trying to shoot pics of the details......they're on charge now........"photos at eleven" Goldth Goldth
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
The more I look at your project, the more I like it. You chose a great subject for the contest... all kinds of freelancing and scratchbuilding to be done. Looking forward to eleven!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Cheers with Gary: This one's got oodles of opportunities for development and you're making excellent use of them. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Great project! I wouldn't mind having this same equipment for my railroad as some MOW equipment
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
Well, it's not eleven, it's 14:30 hours, and the batteries are charged, but the background light is too bright, and makes the subject too dark. But,this will have to do for now:

I'll try to replace this shot later, got to run now.
Looking good!
Perhaps you could use heat shrink for hoses.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Heat shrink is a possible, I was also considering the right diameter solder, which might be easier to form into a convincing shape. First, however, I have to conceive and build the structure that the hoses will be "stored" in/on. That's the problem with a project like this.......seeing all the details, and then building them.
I'm having second thoughts about those stirrup steps.......count's up to a dozen, if I replace the ones on the flats.
I got a bit more done. the fuel and water lines are in, and attached to their pumps, risers are in, and need support structure before adding the delivery pipe/hose. The platform is modeled down, with tension on the chains.....it is designed to be able to rotate up about 74 degrees to the stored position, but will stay down.

In this shot from a slightly higher view, the risers, fuel foreground, and water, background, come up bewteen the water tank and the platform.

Because of the design choice for the platform, I decided to move the fuel filler pipe to the back wall of the crane. I'm thinking that fuel will be delivered by hose, and the water by semi-fixed pipe that rotates back out of the way when done....kind of a "water column" kind of thing.

All the handrails were set up, ACC'd in place, and then the stanchions were soldered to the rails. The upper attachment of the chain supports were soldered to the forward stanchions, the lower ends Acc'd to the platform "I" beam frame.
Prime Time!!!, well first primer at least, all the different colors were getting hard to take. Now I can see all the mistakes.... :o
The water "column" rotates across the tank, and forward to the fill trunk on the back of the crane. I found a fuel nozzle from an N.J.International detail set (two gas pumps) the hose is a piece from a GOW bulb.

Here, the crane and tender show the position of the platform w/r to the back of the crane.

This shot is all three; Boom flat, Crane,and Tender.

and this is the Boom flat, with the modified loco cab. This needs a lot more work,as it has had the least attention so far. I need to think about where and what steps, and handgrabs should be added, and this car gets all the "junk and clutter".

Now that all the parts are in primer I can correct the overlooked problems, and add the final details. Then comes the hard part.........the final color! Goldth Goldth
Coming together VERY NICELY!!!! Thumbsup MOW Yellow?
Ralph
"MOW Yellow?"

Actually, Railbox yellow is one of the contenders, S.P. lettering gray is another, and Coach green, yet another.
All good choices, of course! Smile
Pete, those cars would look good even if you painted them pink. Wink Goldth

Wayne