Stimulus
This was posted on another forum but pretty well explains how the stimulus package works so I thought I would repost it here:

STIMULUS .................

It is a slow day in the town of Bakersfield, in the middle of California, and streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody is living on credit.

A tourist visiting the area drives through town, stops at the motel, and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs to pick one for the night.

As soon as he walks upstairs, the motel owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher. The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer. The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill to his supplier, the Co-op. The guy at the Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit. The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.

The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the traveler will not suspect anything. At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything... However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks to the future with a lot more optimism.And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a Stimulus package works.

Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
This certainly beat just giving money away. Everyone is satisfied, except for the motel owner who is now out $100....

Just for something to think about, our government is trillions of dollars in debt, so where is this money coming from? Is Uncle borrowing it from other countries, or just magically creating cash? And when we get it, how can we go out and spend it if we can't leave our homes?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
The motel owner isn't out anything, he paid off his debt to the butcher with the $100. Don I'm guessing the Government is just going to print more. Here there is still a lot of places to spend your money. The golf course is open, most of the eateries have either drive thru or take out, the hardware and building supply places are open. Any place the sells groceries or over the counter medical or toilet paper (like Family Dollar and Dollar General as well as grocery stores and drug stores) are still open. The people that do landscaping and mowing are still working, the banks are still open as well as car dealerships and auto repair shops. Walmart is also open. While we are under a state wide stay at home order and traffic in town is only about 25% of normal you can still spend your money if you want to.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yeah, you're right, everyone is happy, the economy is better for it. Plenty of places to spend your new-found money I guess, but I'd rather choose from a wide-open list, I already bought a new truck, go shopping at Walmart, pick up at the drive-thru, don't play golf, and thanks for the tip, our yard is full of weeds again, time to call the yard guy.... Awesome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just remember, it counts toward next year's taxes.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
(04-15-2020, 01:49 PM)Mike Kieran Wrote: Just remember, it counts toward next year's taxes.

They've been saying that it won't count as income for tax purposes. Heard that again on today's news. I would normally say that I didn't care since I haven't filed in 15 years (the right of passage of a non-working, low income senior citizen), but this year I will have to, so I'm paying attention to this.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/will-you...check.html

It is not taxable income.  
Charlie