The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
Thanks guys, it's hard to judge your own work, and it's hard not to be critical either. I will keep trying. I had a friend that used to say that too Wayne, but he failed to listen to his doctors, someone we all need to pay attention to if we want to grow older.

Lutz, I may put it down the end of the block, not sure yet where it'll go, got lots of room. Good idea about that tanker truck, it would look good filling up the station's tanks.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Nice looking buildings.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Nice job Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks guys, I'm still not real proud of how it turned out and I'm not quite sure why. I guess it lacks a bit of realism and there's no gingerbread. I was shooting for plain, and I guess it's plainer than I like. The material I used is rough and I thought it resembled stucco, something that about 90% of the buildings here are finished in. I'll give it more thought before I call it "finished". Waiting
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
We are always our own worst critics! Big Grin
Mike

(03-01-2021, 07:50 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: We are always our own worst critics! Big Grin

Right on about that. Also, something about looking at what you're building from start to finish breeds so much familiarity, that you see things no one else pays attention to. Icon_rolleyes
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well, sometimes a step back is progress. The story goes like this. Next to the schoolyard is a old abandon general store (first photo). The Society for the Preservation of Old Things. (S.P.O.T.), wanted to put a newly restored general store on the site, and possibly reopen the old store, but there wasn't enough room. But wait...., the property was surveyed and they found that the school had encroached by about eight feet, (second photo), giving them enough room for both buildings. So far, they've cleared the lot of gravel, reclaimed the encroachment   and placed the buildings on a nearby staging lot (third photo), waiting for grading and pouring the concrete required by the town's historical commission.  The white and purple stuff, well, the soil is kind of sandy in that area of town which is why they insisted on concrete for the parking lot. Icon_rolleyes

Hey, it's important that everyone know that these things are not done on a whim, there's always a good reason. Icon_e_geek

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Shocked 
What a story. undefined are you sure you never sold used cars.undefined  I'm glad you found that encroachment. Maybe the store folks should demand another 3 feet for restitution interest. 
Looking great Don.
Charlie
(03-10-2021, 01:43 PM)Charlie B Wrote: What a story. undefined are you sure you never sold used cars.undefined  I'm glad you found that encroachment. Maybe the store folks should demand another 3 feet for restitution interest. 
Looking great Don.
Charlie

I would mention this to them Charlie, but they're thinking about storming the town hall as it is. I gotta keep those little guys under control. I could just sneak in one night and move the markers over a few feet, who would notice? Awesome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good backstory Don! Big Grin
Mike

(03-11-2021, 08:07 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Good backstory Don! Big Grin

Had to do something, what's really quirky is that I have at least half the layout undeveloped including one side of Main St. and here I am, tearing apart an area that's been finished for a while now. There is good reason for doing this, and you will find that out when both these buildings are put in place. I am sworn to secrecy by S.P.O.T. until then.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice little tale to give something a reason for being.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Thanks everyone, we should always know the backstory, makes what you see and do a bit more interesting. Well, S.P.O.T sent notice to the town council of the impending protest, and after hearing what Charlie had to say, they granted them that extra three feet, averting a possible riot. S.P.O.T. immediately went to work and had a concrete slab poured before anyone changed their minds. We're talking around 1/8 of an acre, so it didn't take that long. Using Quick-crete, it should be ready for them to move the buildings by now. I really have to hand it to those little guys and gals, fine job, a bit messy and they have to put the fence back, but they're up to the task and will have things cleaned up in no time.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
We are moving on at about 160 times the speed of what's normal. The little guys and gals were able to restore the school fence and move the two historic buildings on site. The old general store was named "D&P General Store", that was for me and my wife. Every member of my family has their own building or business named after them on my layout, so I decided to dedicate one for my late wife. Hence we now have the, "Peggy's Place General Store". The old general store was taken over by my namesake since I though it appropriate that we stay together as "historical artifacts". So we now have a hobby shop in town. Also note, there was a side room big enough for a layout and so we have arranged for the Big Blue Train Club to occupy that. Since my wife liked flowers, we also were able to arrange to have a flower bed in front of the general store.

The little folks promised to clean the area up, they messed up the concrete a bit and got bits and pieces all over the streets and school, but hey, all in all, they should be given credit to be able to lay some grass where a few days ago they had poured concrete, and they even got a 60 year-old tree planted. Both buildings have LED lighting, but I've been told that they, (S.P.O.T.), has to come up with a deposit before the power company will turn the electricity on.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hey does Don's Hobby Den have any Code 100 #6 switches? I need a bunch desperately.

Looking good, Don!
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery