doctorwayne's 2021 Do Something Challenge - Part 1
That's a lot of cutting an d gluing. Even seems like more work than the standard-to-narrow gauge conversions I have done where I have shortened and narrowed cars!

What are the things that look like finish nails sticking down from the floors?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
(04-06-2021, 10:07 AM)nachoman Wrote: What are the things that look like finish nails sticking down from the floors?

Surprisingly, they are finishing nails, but they're meant to represent vapour regulators (often referred to as "steam traps").  The Branchline (now Atlas) passenger cars have ones in plastic that are much better-detailed , but all I'm attempting to do is make it look like there's important stuff under these cars.  Once they're painted, they fit in pretty well, without drawing too much attention.

Wayne
A little more progress to report on the first four cars of my Challenge.  Here's the two identical CNR 8-1-3 cars, this one showing the compartment side (the interior is not yet in-place)...

...while this one displays the aisle side....

...both cars still need window shades and their underbodies painted, and I think I'll also add extensions to the centre-sill, as there's too much daylight showing between the top of the trucks and the bottoms of the cars.

Here's the shortened EG&E postal car...

...it needs a bunch of sill steps, some bars  and shades for the windows, doors for the ends, and some black paint for the roof and the car's ends.

...and finally, the EG&E Duplex sleeper...

It has window shades installed, but I think that I'll add a divider/view-block down the centre of the car, as this car supposedly has a centre aisle, rather than an aisle along one side....viewers shouldn't be able to see the windows on the other side through the windows on the side being viewed.   The car also needs its roof and ends painted black.

I hope to get these four cars done soon.  I'll also be working on the former dining car that was shown in its shortened form...I've decided to modify the car's centre sill by cutting a couple of feet off each end, so that I can move the trucks' mounting-points inboard.  This will allow better truck-swing when I install the sill steps at the car's corners.

Wayne
Worship Worship Worship Applause Applause Applause 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Just to assure everyone that I haven't yet croaked, here are a few photos of some cars more-or-less finished (I have no seats or diaphragms for any of these cars, so those going to others will be on their own in that regard.  I do have seats and diaphragms at another friend's house, but he's in the States, and our borders are still closed.  Those parts were ordered a couple of years ago, for other cars on-hand that need them.

Here's the CNR's Island Park, in this case a 12-1 Rivarossi sleeper changed into an 8-1-2 (8 sections, 1 drawing room, and 2 compartments)...

The three frosted windows, at left, are for the ladies washrooms and lounge, while the next two sets of paired windows are for the two compartments, and the next set of paired windows is for the drawing room,which has a private washroom, indicated by the small adjoining window.
The next four paired windows are for the sections, which are seats that convert into beds, and the two smaller windows, at right, are on the aisleway which passes the gents' washroom.

This is Queen's Park (named for the seat of Ontario's Provincial Legislature), another Rivarossi car converted to an 8-1-2.  The photo below shows the opposite side to that seen on Island Park (the two cars are identical except for their names)...

...the first three frosted windows, at left, plus the single one with the window shade, are for the gents' washroom, and the next four paired windows for the other four sections.
The four spaced-out windows with the handrails are on the aisleway which passes the drawing room, the two compartments, and  the ladies washroom.

This one is a model of a car which may not have existed.  There were several versions of duplex sleepers with either an aisleway running up one side of the car, or a centre aisle with fewer, and possibly larger, rooms, usually in a staggered arrangment.  This one uses the compartment sides from two Rivarossi  duplex sleepers (the two aisle sides were used on another made-up EG&E car - might as well get as much mileage out of each car as possible.
The Idigo Bay name is made from parts of CNR lettering, while the ELORA GORGE & EASTERN lettering is from some old Champ alphabet sets...

The other side of this car is the same as the side shown.

The last car is the Athearn Postal car that was shortened previously.  I had the plastic windows for the doors, but nothing for the original 10 small windows in the car (the two larger windows, one on each side, near the express end of the car, were added to help disguise the poor job I did of putting the shortened car back into one piece....

I ended-up cutting some older Athearn windows to fit but their bulkiness...

....made it almost impossible to add the security bars used on the windows of most postal cars.  In desperation I cut some squares of .010" clear styrene, then determined that I needed 6 bars for each window.  I used a #79 drill bit in a pin vise to drill six holes in the upper edge of each square, then made a small bend at one end of each bar, inserting them into the holes, then securing them (sorta) using some ca on the tip of an X-Acto #11 blade.
Here they are, ready to be added to the inside of the windows...

...as shown above, they're actually upside down for installation, as the clear styrene at the straight ends of the bars got cemented to the bulky part of the window "glass", while the bent ends of the bars were facing towards the outside of the car, not secured at all, until I added a glob of WeldBond glue to hold them in place.  (the bars, incidentally, were straightened and re-secured before installation.

Next on the to-do list is the car that needs re-decaling, and the former diner, which will be getting new scratchbuilt sides, to turn it into a baggage car.

Wayne
Wayne,

the security bars ... 
Simply Worship  awesome.

Here i will make a mental note in my brain just for the reason that i remember myself to this elegant solution of an otherwise notorious hassle conflicted building process when i had to tackle this or a similar task.

Lutz
That is some incredible modeling.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Hi Doc---your attention to detail always amazes me Icon_eek ---especially the undercarriage additions which add so much to the quality and realism of your rebuilds.  Worship
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Just amazing work, always is and you never disappoint....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Worship Applause
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks for the kind and generous comments, guys.  

Wayne
Your attention to detail is just outstanding Wayne, seems you always go not one step higher, but 100 steps higher on every detail. Excellent job! Worship Applause Icon_e_biggrin
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Thanks, Deano, but you're no slouch yourself. Applause Applause Applause

Only 12 more cars to go (and four tenders in my other Challenge).

Wayne
As is evident, this Challenge started out okay, but I've fallen far short of my original goal, as there are at least another eleven (possibly 14) cars to be built or modified. 

In light of that, I'd suggest that no one needs to bother voting for this one. 

However, I do plan to carry on with the project, and will post my progress, as time allows, for anyone interested in following along.

I'll try to be a little more organised for the next Challenge.

Wayne
I'm always inspired by your work, Wayne. My Grandfather worked on an RPO - love seeing that, and I am sure he would have, too.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->