Found a photo to justify my locomotive :)
(05-15-2021, 10:12 PM)doctorwayne Wrote:
(05-15-2021, 09:33 PM)oldline1 Wrote: Did anyone notice the guy up on the light pole? No OSHA back then!

Yeah, he appears to be the only one working, while everybody else is just lounging around.

Wayne

Thanks to the governments current way of thinking, they may still go back and fine his company for violating today's safety rules. 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
(05-15-2021, 09:33 PM)oldline1 Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 12:22 PM)nachoman Wrote: My favorite steam wheel arrangement is the 4-4-2.  Not sure why, maybe because they were quickly superseded by the 4-6-2 making them unusual.  

I found a Mantua 4-4-2 at a train show about 10 years ago, and paid about $10 for it.  It runs great, but lacks a few details.  However, I debated whether to letter it for my fictional railroad, or just leave it as-is.  I just couldn't picture a small Arizona shortline owning a 4-4-2.  In the universe of my fictional railroad, There was a line connecting Phoenix to Safford and the mining regions around there.  There was a proposed line, the Arizona Eastern, connecting those towns, but the last segment was never actually built.  

Yesterday I stumbled across this photo online of the opening of the Phoenix Union train station.  And lo and behold, an Arizona Eastern 4-4-2!

I could find a MDC SP cab to throw on my locomotive.  I have a Vanderbilt tender...

Did anyone notice the guy up on the light pole? No OSHA back then!

Been bothering me ever since i found the photo!  What is he doing?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
To me it looks more like he is standing on the raised portion of the roof rather than climbing the pole.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(05-16-2021, 10:49 AM)FiatFan Wrote: To me it looks more like he is standing on the raised portion of the roof rather than climbing the pole.

Tom

I originally thought that he was walking atop the parapet, but it appears that he's sitting on the arm of the light standard, probably trying to replace a burnt-out light bulb...otherwise, there's no reason for the ladder to be there.

Wayne
Hello,

it seems to me, the guy on the lamp post just wants to be pictured on the photo at a prominent place.

And i presume the A.T.& S.F. loco, of which only the cab is visible on the photo, will look like this one:
[Image: dsc01924a3k0g.jpg]

Lutz
(05-17-2021, 04:39 AM)Schraddel Wrote: Hello,

it seems to me, the guy on the lamp post just wants to be pictured on the photo at a prominent place.

And i presume the A.T.& S.F. loco, of which only the cab is visible on the photo, will look like this one:
[Image: dsc01924a3k0g.jpg]

Lutz

Actually , no, Lutz...it's a Pacific...

Wayne
Think about it, that guy was able to shimmy down to the lamp, change the bulb and somehow, get back and down without incident. Total cost to the company, one ladder (already on the truck) and about 20 minutes of labor. Now days, they would have to own ($50,000), or rent ($150/hour) an articulated boom lift, while having one man in the bucket and two on the ground for at least two hours, plus a safety inspector to insure they're doing the job in accordance to the latest OSHA standards. Icon_e_surprised
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(05-17-2021, 11:18 AM)ezdays Wrote: Think about it, that guy was able to shimmy down to the lamp, change the bulb and somehow, get back and down without incident. Total cost to the company, one ladder (already on the truck) and about 20 minutes of labor. Now days, they would have to own ($50,000), or rent ($150/hour) an articulated boom lift, while having one man in the bucket and two on the ground for at least two hours, plus a safety inspector to insure they're doing the job in accordance to the latest OSHA standards. Icon_e_surprised

How do you know there was no incident?  SmileSmile Misngth
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
@Wayne
Mist! Wieder daneben geraten. Wallbang

@Kevin
There was no accident at the time when the photo was made.
The simple explanation, there is a old German yoke (yes there are really some, but as German you are urgent requested going down into the basement for laughing for the yoke):
Frage: "Was ist schwarz und hängt an der Decke?"
Antwort: "Schlechter Elektriker."

My attempt to translate:
Question: "What is charred and is hanging down from the ceiling?"
Answer: "Bad skilled electrician."

And as you can clearly seen the man on the lamp post is not carbonized.

Lutz
(05-17-2021, 02:02 PM)nachoman Wrote: How do you know there was no incident?  SmileSmile Misngth

Well, they didn't have workman's comp, or even medical coverage back then, not even lawyers that had TV commercials, Nope  , so these folks were extra careful doing what they do, unlike the, "hey, I'm covered, and I'll probably sue regardless" generation. Icon_lol

Plus what Lutz said..... Applause Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(05-17-2021, 02:25 PM)Schraddel Wrote: @Wayne
Mist! Wieder daneben geraten. Wallbang

Well, it was a good guess and probably the most  logical, too.  However, on my screen, I could see only part of the the 4-4-2 (the pilot and the first wheelset weren't visible).  I then, realising that there should more, right-clicked on the picture then clicked on the option to "view image", which then showed both locos completely.

@Kevin
There was no accident at the time when the photo was made.
The simple explanation, there is a old German yoke (yes there are really some, but as German you are urgent requested going down into the basement for laughing for the yoke):
Frage: "Was ist schwarz und hängt an der Decke?"
Antwort: "Schlechter Elektriker."

My attempt to translate:
Question: "What is charred and is hanging down from the ceiling?"
Answer: "Bad skilled electrician."

And as you can clearly seen the man on the lamp post is not carbonized.

Lutz

Mir war immer bewusst, dass deutscher Humor vielleicht nicht ganz mit nordamerikanischem Humor identisch ist.

In high school, my German teacher (a Scotsman) always referred to me as Herr Tod (a play on the pronunciation of my surname).   I didn't mind it until I realised that perhaps, given my less than stellar diction when attempting to answer a question in German, that he may have considered me not dead, but merely brain-dead.

My abilities in French were equally miserable.

Wayne
Sumptins wrong with my 'puter, keep getting scrambled words that I can't decipher. Waiting

Chalk it up to old age and the fact that I never learned any foreign languages. Had a choice of French, German or Spanish in school, plus my mother spoke fluent Ukrainian but never taught us kids a single word of it. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don - Google to the rescue!

https://translate.google.com/

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(05-18-2021, 10:12 AM)FiatFan Wrote: Don - Google to the rescue!

https://translate.google.com/

Tom

Thank you good sir, boy, is that ever so handy to have. I will remember that link always. it may even be good to translate some of those spam posts that show up here once in a while or that show up in my email, not that I'd take the risk. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Did you also notice the guy sitting on the side rods of the 4-4-2?