The New PistonBroke Line
Hello once again. 
This seems to be an opening refrain from me every year or so, but I will make a concerted effort this time to keep the Revisited "PistonBroke Line" thread ongoing for those who wish to visit.  Icon_cool 
Update: Have built and moved into our new house as of a couple of 2 years ago.  Our House Build Blog

Have not sold our last house but it is rented.
           Original PistonBroke dismantled.
           New PistonBroke Line Started in new house.
           Learning to run the new layout using computer control with the "Train Controller" ®  programme.
           Brain not happy, but it keeps me from...... everything!!
New Room

Starting Over

So these photos were from a while back, and it seems I need to get better acquainted with posting photos it took me hours to get the hang of it.   Icon_redface
To be expected I guess, when the brain has been around for as long as this one.  Icon_e_biggrin 
But I'm good to go now.... watch out!

I will post more pics.
In a few days.

Cheers  Cheers 

Jack
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Jack,

Great space you have there, gunna make a lot of us jealous, Looking forward to see how it progresses.

As for posting photos, the only downside is that you can only upload them one at a time. The upside is than once they're all uploaded, you can post them in any order you choose and you can comment in between them. Maybe someday we'll be able to upload them in batches.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Glad to see you back and looking forward to watching the construction. Pretty spectacular looking house also.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Hi Jack,  (You can get in trouble saying that in the wrong places)
It is so great to see your layout and I am really looking forward to more photos and information. 
It's good to see you back. 
Charlie
Yes, definitely nice to see you back, Jack, and to see progress on the new layout, too.

Too many have drifted away, and not returned....despite the expense, we'll leave a light on, just in case.

Wayne
Thanks for the warm "welcome back" gentlemen. I was never far away, and was always checking in on you guys and making sure you hadn't closed the shop.  Icon_e_biggrin 
I did no take too many photos during the construction phase, as I was always trying to "get it done"  and get out from underneath the layout. But the few I have taken I will find and post, as it is far easier for me (and less boring for you guys) to tell the story with Pictures rather than words.
Any questions will be answered if I can remember the answer.    Icon_rolleyes  

So as some of you may know, with the Train Controller ® software you can easily draw your layout (which is obviously a pre-requisite for the computer to be able to control your RR), So below is a PDF my layout as drawn on Train Controller.

.pdf   Layout.pdf (Size: 100.5 KB / Downloads: 432)

My last Layout was HO Peco code 100, this time I went for Peco code 75, so I gave away all my Code 100 line and turnouts away and started afresh.
First up, the Double slip wiring Challenge  Icon_e_biggrin  
Now I just want to blow that Foam dust off the picture

Seeing as I was thinking that I wanted to mainly try and run trains with a computer controlling all turnouts timetables and schedules, I tried to keep the layout as level as possible to maximise my grossly inadequate track laying skills, and minimise any future problems. However I do have one line over a tunnel on the layout so as a quick turnaround run is achievable. This meant gouging out two rights of way into my foam baseboard to give the required clearance.

and

and

When using these computer programmes fun facts are easy to come by ........ if I can just find where to look!!
eg: There are 77 turnouts,
     4 of which are double slips,
     1x3 way turnout
     33 left hand turnouts
     and 37 turnouts are Right hand.
With a few more to add, about 3 I think.
I drive them all with Tortoise switch machines connected to DCC Specialties Wabbit Feedback stationary decoders.
I don't have the feedback component connected yet.

each Turnout will be able to be switched from the side of the layout via a momentary on toggle switch, as well as by the throttle and computer ......... eventually.
Below is my crude attempt to make a switchboard with these toggles switches in a busy area of the layout.

But they will mainly be just on the side of the layout near the turnout, like this.

The layout is divided into 75 blocks, for detecting where the trains are at any given time. .....Hopefully...... 
These 2 DR4088's are some of the Block detection modules

and 5 reverse loops.
 Each Reverse loop is controlled by a DCC Specialties "PSX-AR Power Shield Auto Reverser/circuit breaker"

I know this is not a huge layout compared to some I have seen on the internet in American Basements but I think this will take me more than my lifetime to complete.
Happy days for my kids when the time comes to clean up Pops mess when I depart.   Goldth 

I have a Lenz LVZ100 Controller from my old layout, but I was intrigued by the Digikeijs "DR5000" controller as it has the ability to connect to either Lenz/Rocco (Expressnet System) or the Loconet System, all the while being able to just use a USB to connect to your computer and relay any system Info. to the programme.
Seems like all the magic in one box. 
I bought one, so we will see. Icon_question  
Here we go. 

By the way, does anyone know if I can use the Lenz Controller as a Booster with the Digikeijs DR5000. Or more to the point if I can disable the controller part of the end LVZ100 and just use the power part. I guess if not, it would be like using two controllers hooked together , with one for each power district. I fear there might be some smoke escaping if I just joined the two together.  Anyone?

I have no idea why I am embarking on this tech Mission, as I would be the least Computer literate fellow around.
I guess it's the Challenge. ...... Wait. Wut. did I just say that!  35
But I have started, and I am enjoying the journey, so I guess that's all that matters.

Cheers, Jack  Cheers
LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy
I'm always equally impressed by what goes on underneath the layout as what goes on topside. Your wiring is neatly done and that panel you created looks well put together and functional to boot. Looking forward to that first train running.
Well here we are again, thanks to some expert prompting from Charlie B. 

My progress has been a bit slow, but hey its the journey ....Right?
When learning how to use "Railroad & Co." (the software that's  controlling my RR,) clouds the brain too much I will de-stress and build a structure from kits I bought a few years ago and didn't get around to enjoying.

I am trying to be able to sit back, and watch many of my trains automatically traverse the layout, all on predetermined schedules and obeying the rules of the road. ie: stopping at lights, stations, and industries as predetermined by the schedules, the date or the time I set.

So if you are interested I'll post a few photos of my progress and builds on the line.
If anyone is interested in following suite or is already doing likewise with this software Please let me know, as I am flying solo, and by the seat of my pants here.

As explained, I tried to build the track-plan in limited space with as many options as possible for trains travelling in opposite directions to industries and stations en-route. Therefore it became a bit of a spaghetti junction type plan, but certainly gives the dispatcher plenty to work out with when scheduling.
A few more lines/industries have been added since these early photos  Icon_lol

OK 'nuff of the lecture, here is some pics and explainers.......

First off below gives a rough idea of what, where, and how much. about a year ago.

Below is the return at the top right of 1st pic

And this island will be a wharf one day

Turnaround at the top left of the 1st pic with a turntable beyond it

And turntable..

below is a blurry (Dammit) photo of the layout on the computer, ready to rock and roll...

Fast foreward, and some pics of a few of the American kits built while having some down-time...

A few shopfronts on the main

And some Australian kits

Enough already... I hear the cries.   Misngth Misngth
OK

I will post more pictures later,....  and eventually get up to date with current state of The PistonBroke RR. 

but if anyone is interested in the computing side I can give an indication of what is possible.

Jack   219

Attached Files Image(s)

LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy
Quite the undertaking you have going there!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Very impressive layout! Looking forward to seeing your future progress.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Popa Weelie?   Icon_e_biggrin 2285_ Worship I love names like that. Ralph has some good ones on his Penn Central pike. 

It looks like you figured out how to post the pictures and I am sure glad you did. I am very much impressed with the layout and operations. I hope you will keep us updated.  I can't help with any of the computer operations but perhaps Woodone will be able to offer some help. 

I hope the haunted house is still in existence. 

Thanks for the update
Charlie
Great stuff, Jack! Especially love the look of the town. The computer control and DCC turnout control were something I briefly thought about before abandoning, but having some definite rules for turnouts were certainly help my from derailing trains! Thought the "Secret Men's Business" sign was a hoot! Did you capture the old Piston Broke before it was dismantled? Another thread perhaps?
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
(01-22-2023, 10:44 AM)TMo Wrote: Great stuff, Jack!  Especially love the look of the town.  The computer control and DCC turnout control were something I briefly thought about before abandoning, but having some definite rules for turnouts were certainly help my from derailing trains!  Thought the "Secret Men's Business" sign was a hoot!  Did you capture the old Piston Broke before it was dismantled?  Another thread perhaps?

Todd, Look at the original here https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php...istonbroke

Charlie
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I resolve most issues on the run as it were, with a rough idea of where things are going but nothing in concrete and things just evolve. Ie most of the buildings that are on the layout are at their location on probation, they may stay there or not.  Icon_e_biggrin

(01-22-2023, 09:17 AM)Charlie B Wrote: .........
.....It looks like you figured out how to post the pictures and I am sure glad you did. ......
Yes Charlie, main task was to batch resize them, and put them all in a folder for easy access.

I hope the haunted house is still in existence. 
you mean this one 

The O'Balmers place.

It is illegally squatting on piece of land that it doesn't own at the moment, but it did survive.

Charlie

Jack   219
LIFE....
Look for a good fantasy
(01-24-2023, 03:44 AM)OBJack Wrote: Thanks for the encouragement guys, I resolve most issues on the run as it were, with a rough idea of where things are going but nothing in concrete and things just evolve. Ie most of the buildings that are on the layout are at their location on probation, they may stay there or not.  Icon_e_biggrin

[quote="Charlie B" pid='170516' dateline='1674400627']

The O'Balmers place.

Jack   219

Yes, that's the one. I am glad that has survived. 
Charlie