Sumpter250's 2010 Summer structure challenge, boat house
Progress...."at GE, it's our most important produ....." riiiight.
This is actually the back of the house, the "waterfront side" Yeah, the corner post for the double doors got broken off. I'll wait until that side is ready for attachment before I repair the damage. That side has to be "mostly" shingled before it can be attached, then, then corner shingles can go on.
The whole "boathouse" part is, in effect, the basement. There is an eleven foot ceiling . The basement floor ( 1240 square feet, about 3/4 of the footprint ), is 3' above mean high water. The "arched" area is the "back" porch, and looks out over the seaport.

This is the side that faces the front of the mudules ( track side ). The left hand corner is almost completely shingled, the right hand corner is waiting until the front wall is attached ( the front wall still needs more shingles ).

This is the front wall of the house. The front porch floor is at ground level, the property slopes down 9' in 40', to the water, closely matching the slope of the long roof.

Those who live in coastal areas might think, "What happens when a storm hits"?.....The boat is taken out of the water !
Rising tides from a storm, could trap the boat under the house floor, and.......( let your imagination run wild here )
What can be moved in the boat, goes with it, the rest is brought up out of harm's way.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Great job so far, I'm getting a headache just thinking about putting 2 million individual shingles on that structure Eek
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
scubadude Wrote:Great job so far, I'm getting a headache just thinking about putting 2 million individual shingles on that structure Eek
Icon_lol

This should work about as well as ( product name not posted for legal reasons ) for your headache, it's only 7,500 ( approximately ) shingles, not 2 million. Eek

I'm only slightly crazy. Goldth Goldth
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:I'm only slightly crazy. Goldth Goldth

Sez you! Wink Misngth 357

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:I'm only slightly crazy. Goldth Goldth

Sez you! Wink Misngth 357

Wayne
Icon_lol

..."You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're lookin' for, turn out the light, too late to save me, you may be wrong, but then again you may be right"... Big Grin Icon_twisted Big Grin
Hey! .... That would make great lyrics for a song, maybe even accompanied by piano! Big Grin

I can almost hear it now ... wait - I'll turn up the volume! Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Hmmm. Sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't place it. 35

Wayne (not very "into" the lyrics of most songs)
Finished the front wall, installed the "second floor" and attached the front wall. Finished the shingles on the back/west corner, and partially shingled the front/west corner.

The west side. The upper RH corner needs to be done. The small "patch" to the right of the ground floor window, is where the electric meter will be mounted. To the left, is the boat dock that will be attached to the back wall, and the 36' boat.

The back wall. This will be finished after the east wall is done and attached.

The East wall, assembled, and waiting shingles. Once this is done, the largest part to be shingled is the long North roof. The short South roof is only a bit larger than the front porch roof, and shouldn't take all that long to do. There are no "cuts, and fits" on the South roof.

'finished'...what a beautiful word that will be!

Looks superb! Keep on going crazy!

Galen

EDIT: that should be, "Keep on going, crazy!" Icon_lol
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
The walls are all done !!
The north wall, the long roof set in place, the dormer wall attached, and the boat door frame repaired and in place.

The West wall. I disassembled the dormer roofs.....they needed a little adjustment to compensate for the shingles on the walls. The kit was meant to be painted.

The South wall. The short roof set in place. I need to make a low step, and a threshold in front of the door. Because I didn't use the "trim", the slot for the ground floor shows below the door, and has to be covered.

The East wall.

Both roofs need shingles, the eve trim will be attached after the roofs are in place,and then it's just "details", and some scenery, before it goes on the module. I just noticed that the arch for the porch, in the West wall, looks like it's not an arch !
It's actually the light shining on the shingled inside of the East wall, at the other end of the porch, that creates that appearance.
The shingles on the sides turned out nicely. Also like the dock... looking forward to seeing it in the water with the boats.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Looks great, Pete. Thumbsup Thumbsup

So, by now you must be qualified to tell us: Are shingles really as painful as folks say they are? Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:So, by now you must be qualified to tell us: Are shingles really as painful as folks say they are?
Wayne

Icon_lol

Nope!.....but stabbing yourself with a sharp pair of tweezers, used to pick them up ??.........yeah, that's painful !!! Big Grin
this shot shows the progress on the long roof.

the dormer side roofs are set in place, to make sure they still fit. Once the long roof is done and fastened to the structure, I'll start the dormer roofs, gluing each in place as they are shingled.
The boat doors are painted, and dry so they can be attached, as well as the dock.
Here, you can see that the long roof is just set in place, and just one of the four dormer side roofs that still need shingles.    
OK, so it's not " 11:00 ", but.........

Can you say " Ridge Caps ?? " 2285_ 2285_ Yup!, the ridge caps are in place and the shingles are all done ! Cheers
Once again around we go....North wall, boat doors in place ( open ) dock in place and attached, dormers done, and all the parts are now assembled.

West wall, the power meter, and hardware are in place and need painting.

South Wall, the raised step is in place at the front door. It needs paint, as does the plumbing vent up on the short roof.

East wall, here you can see the boat doors, in the open position.

Back at the North wall, the boat doors are closed, and the Ketch rigged, "Jenan IV " has pulled up to the dock. She's 56'-9", hull length, and her main mast rises 50' above the deck.

At this point, there is painting, and some detailing, and the surrounding " real estate " has to be built.
The shingling.....is.....finished !!!! ( except for the roof of the old bridgetender's shack .... but that's another project )

Looking at this building, I can now see where the structural elements came from. The "hip roofed" dormers, were inspired by the "hip roof" of the house I grew up in. The upstairs front bedroom had the two windows, and the roof overhang was similar. The house we moved to, right after High School graduation, was a "salt box" ( two story front wall, single story back wall, with the long roof facing the North. The idea for the boat doors came from the summer cottage....same style doors, but only 4' tall, lead to the "under the porch area" where we stored the old row boat ( not in the water, we'd have to haul it down to the beach, and put in in the water where it promptly filled and sank. Next day, the seams had swollen back shut, and after baling it out, it would stay watertight 'til after it was put back in storage. )