Sumpter250's 2010 Summer structure challenge, boat house
What a terrific looking structure! And congratulations on having finished the shingles! Smile
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
This PDF, was my guide to shingle installation, especially the ridge caps. The specifics on ridge caps is on page 7.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installation/...manual.pdf
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Gary S Wrote:What a terrific looking structure! And congratulations on having finished the shingles! Smile

Thanks Gary, and by the end of the day, today, I may have finished re-gaining my sanity. Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:....and by the end of the day, today, I may have finished re-gaining my sanity. Big Grin Big Grin

I doubt it: we're all modellers and we're all nutz, to one degree or another. 35 Misngth 35 Misngth

Nevertheless, very nice work. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Sumpter250 Wrote:This PDF, was my guide to shingle installation, especially the ridge caps. The specifics on ridge caps is on page 7. http://www.cedarbureau.org/installation/...manual.pdf

Thanks, Pete! That will help.
... and Galen ... I apologize ... again!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
The boathouse, is as complete now as I can make it. This shot is taken at "deck level" ( the dark "spot" in the lower left corner is the stern of the tug "Ponquogue" ). The tangle of masts and rigging, belong to the Friendship sloop, the cutter, and the ketch. The block of white foam, is standing in for the wood piers I have yet to build. I stuck the "sky-blue backboard" in to block all the unfinished area behind, where the roundhouse, coal, sand,and water facilities will be.

In this shot, you can better see the "piers", and some of the pink foam being shaped for the scenery foundation. I'll lay plaster cloth on that, and then begin the scenery building process. My next project will be the other two "Eureka Bridges", and the stone abutments for them, and the wood piers.

Once all my "elements" are built, I can find their final positions, and secure them in place. Then the final scenery will be added, and at some point, ( hopefully before November ) I should have the three modules ready for their first public display.
It's lookin' mighty fine, they-ah, Mr. Sumptah!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
That is just beautiful...and knowing how much exacting work was required has me awe struck! Worship Worship Worship
Ralph
Nicely done! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Andrew
Many thanks to all, for the supporting comments.

While I was taking those pictures, I started thinking about "where" this scene "existed".
I had made a comment somewhere else about the "seaport" being on the "lower Kennequogue river".
In fact, just far enough up stream that it wasn't "tidal". That means basically fresh,( maybe brackish ) not salt water......which means....
I think I've just found the perfect spot for a willow tree !!!
( now, I just have to build one that is worthy of being in the scene )
First, though, the walk bridges. I'll document those in the "New Modules" thread.
Hey S250, that is one nice structure, and the boats certainly add to it. When you get around to making the willow tree, please share with us how you do it.
I think MRC may have a willow in their new line of trees (you know, the free tree offer). I don't think you can get a willow with that offer, but it may be worth a try. Otherwise, if you don't plan to make one, check the Scenic Express catalog. Great stuff there and I bet they have a willow.

What a great scene with the masts and rigging. A really well composed scene!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:I think MRC may have a willow in their new line of trees (you know, the free tree offer). I don't think you can get a willow with that offer, but it may be worth a try. Otherwise, if you don't plan to make one, check the Scenic Express catalog. Great stuff there and I bet they have a willow. Galen

I've seen an MRC willow picture, they do relatively well on their trees, but I really want to build this one ( have wanted to for a number of years, but hadn't found materials that could come close to doing one justice. I think I may have finally found the material.......we'll see. ) just because it's a challenge that I need to step up to.
The one on the left is where I'm thinking of going:

The trunk of that tree is 30" - 36" diameter, and the tree is roughly 42' tall ( 5-3/4" in HO )
I'll most likely use wire to form the trunk and major branch structure ( easy part ). The finer branches and leaves ? That, will take some doing, and may prove more tedious than all the shingles......but, if it all works?... 2285_
This also will be done in my New Modules thread.
BEAUTIFUL work Pete!!!!

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Worship Worship Worship Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

I'm exhausted just from reading about it Goldth but in the end, all of the hard work has paid off with a stunning model!

Congratulations! Thumbsup
Steve
and a beautiful pic of the lake and willows. I can't wait to see the outcome of the willow tree and the photo-tutorial on how to make them!