Shingles
Here's a brief how to on individual "wood" shingles:
1. Material. I started with a roll of "postal wrapping paper", 30" X 15', and cut off 8-1/2" so I have 8-1/2" X 15'.

2. I then cut several 12" sheets off the roll. These were then taped down, and the colors ( I chose brown, tan, white, and black, for the boathouse project ) were streaked on the paper.

3. Once the sheets were dry, strips, a scale 18" are cut off across the streaks, with a #11 XActo knife using a scale rule as a cutting guide.

4. The 8-1/2" strips are then cut, with a small scissor, to varying widths up to about 12-14 scale inches.

5. The shingles are then picked and applied using tweezers, and an old dental pick, used to hold and guide the shingles into place. I apply enough glue for about 6-7 shingles at a time, that way the glue doesn't dry out before the last shingle is in place.
It's a simple enough process, and I'll make one or two strips at a time, to break up the monotony. The end result is a true random size, and color pattern, with good color, and texture. The scale 18" long shingles go on with a 9" reveal. I usually pencil in a guide line on the roof, or wall, for each new coarse of shingles.    
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Oh ... my ... God! Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

As said elsewhere ... "you may be right ... you may be crazy ..." Cheers Icon_lol

(obviously the result of many long hours below deck out of sight of land for months at a time!)
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Great effect but quite the labor of love! Thumbsup
Ralph
Looks great Thumbsup . The boat house is coming along nicely also.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
great looking boat house Pete , I use a similar system but never thought of wrapping paper though , been using craft paper Wallbang at 4 times the price. what I need now is to find some way of cutting the scaloped shingles Curse that they were so fond of using in the victorian era as in the photos below.

Attached Files Image(s)

I would never attempt that. Two reasons:

1) A potential disaster if I sneeze Icon_lol
2) If a sneeze doesn't frustrate the endeavor, the cat surely will Icon_lol
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Jim -

Try a Craft store for various "fancy" scissors. I think my daughter has a pair that cut the shape you want. They were part of a whole kit, but they can probably be had individually too.

Here's a whole kit (zoom in to see patterns printed on the scissors):
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?requestURI=processProductsCatalog&categoryId=377320&BP=10576&ms=cse&cm_mmc=Nextag-_-Nextag-_-Nextag-_-Nextag&sku=57/5506&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=23-92335483-2">http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/brows ... 92335483-2</a><!-- m -->

Andrew
WOW...that's a great looking result. Really nice!
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
jim currie Wrote:great looking boat house Pete , I use a similar system but never thought of wrapping paper though , been using craft paper Wallbang at 4 times the price. what I need now is to find some way of cutting the scaloped shingles Curse that they were so fond of using in the victorian era .

I was using standard 20 pound bond paper, but I was not happy with the white edges left after cutting. Darker construction paper was too heavy, so the wrap, is the best compromise I could find.

I like the use of the scalloped, and straight cut shingles on the Mansard roof. You would need a specific cutter, as those scalloped shingles are all the same width, where the straight cut vary in width.
" Try a Craft store for various "fancy" scissors."
I might have to look into that also. Thanks Andrew. Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!