The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
HI ALL . been a bit warmer so i can work on layout . as far as the snow birds they really don't add a thing they use more of what was meant for residents of AZ land and a lot of then just go out and tear up the desert around here by not sticking to trails , also add to the VA's burden . so you can see i don't like them the only ones I like roost in the tree's across the street.
Jim
Greetings, gang.

35 outside my window this morning under mostly clear skies. The skies will clear but the temperature will start to drop later on. Down to 20 by quittin' time and 0 by morning.

Had a very pleasant walk at the gym yesterday. Normally I walk a few laps and then start my exercises. Started chatting with a young (probably late 40s) lady and we walked and talked non-stop for 2 miles. Made for a very pleasant experience. Also got the stand assembled for the Xbox monitor. I'll be sanding and staining that today. Then it's back to working on recovering the footstool. All parts on hand now to finish that project. Also need to work on the display case for the Big Boy.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning all and welcome to February. So soon, but they say that time flies when you're having fun. For us old folk, time flies regardless. Been cloudy the past few days and temps in the 60's for a while. Still beats what others are dealing with right now.

Jim, you're right, around here they don't stick to the hiking trails, and usually need rescuing when they get lost, get dehydrated or stop suddenly at the bottom of a cliff, frequently needing a helicopter to get them out.

Was going to patch the ceiling myself until I realized it was still damp and might be ripe for mold. Called the insurance company and although my deductible is $500, I've earned $400 for not having any claims. A no-brainer, $100 and the job gets done right with no work on my part. Someone coming this morning to evaluate the situation. The only problem is if they start tearing the ceiling apart, my layout is within a few feet of the damage.

Take care everyone and have a great day. I wish the best to all of you fighting the bad weather
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Good morning folks

It is 19.Supposed to go above freezing today at 35.

Working on laundry as the house chore of the day yesterday. It will continue today.

I hooked up the new power pack. It is the MRC Throttlepack 9950 DC High Power Train Controller. It is very nice. Amazing how much smoother the trains I tested ran as compared to the old Bachmann controller I was using. I tried both the DC and DCC modes and all went well. It will operate one loco in DCC that is programed to channel 3.

I did not like the way the paint on the water tank came out and therefore I am removing the paint to try again. We are supposed to get a couple of days in the 40's so I may be able to airbrush in the garage. On the Golden Valley Canning Company I hit a snag. There are a couple of parts missing one of which is a piece for the roof for the boiler house. I contacted Walthers and they said they would send replacements one I gave them the parts numbers and my shipping info which I did, I am not waiting for confirmation.

I need to make that gas run for my car today. I may try to make it to Delaware since prices there are $3.29 compared to PA prices of $3.50 and higher.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Good Morning
       20 degrees with a high of 40 predicted. I hope the snow gets completely melted before the rain tomorrow turns to snow tomorrow night. 

I'm glad I live in a place unaffected by snowbirds. At least these folks leave for the winter and don't clutter up our highways. 

I have been organizing scanned photos and it seems to be a never ending job. I have a large collection of photos from the family that date back to pre civil war times as well as my train photo collection. Most of the scanning is done but the files remain to be renamed and photoshopped.  I don't have anyone helping me, and I am the oldest one in my line so I am the only one that has a chance of identifying some of the people. I actually have some grandchildren that are interested so I will continue. 
Have a great day everyone.

Charlie
Hello Blue
Sun and 41 degrees but this is before the big snowstorm that is expected.
We grocery shopped this morning, got everything we went for but there were empty spaces on some shelves. Prices have really gone up, I think in some cases we are being scr, a shafted.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
And a good Groundhog Day to you all. What will Punxsutawney Phil forecast? More winter, not bad for us out in the desert, but you snow folks are probably not happy. We're still a bit chilly here, somewhere in the 60's, some say low, others say high.Slight chance of rain today says the TV lady.

Glad I didn't try to patch up the water damage, they're coming today to tear out about 10' of ceiling drywall, then about five days of fans blowing everything dry. Got a hassle with the service company, the insurance company is paying me directly and I pay the company when I'm satisfied. For some reason, they couldn't accept that arrangement and wanted to get paid by the insurance company even though I told them I'd give them a deposit when they got here.. They finally decided to come without getting a deposit, just about five seconds before I was going to tell them that I'll find someone else willing to do the job for cash.... I clearly don't understand how some folks stay in business. Would you rather get paid on the spot, or wait until after you file an insurance claim?

Enough crowing, I guess I'm lucky that someone is coming to fix things in this time of people quitting their jobs in record numbers, everyone is looking to hire and we still have high unemployment. Doesn't make sense... Nope Nope

Take care everyone, stay warm and enjoy the day.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good morning folks

It is 26 heading up to 42.

Made the gas run yesterday and with my grocery store discount I paid $2.99. Well worth the trip to Delaware. Lowest Pennsylvania price we saw was $3.49.

I am working on repainting the parts for the Golden Valley Canning Company kit that I needed to do after stripping them from my previous attempt. I hope to test run a couple of new locos. I finally got a pair of Amtrak F40PH that I have been trying to in like forever.

I need to run to the produce store and pharmacy later today.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Good morning
       We are waiting for the big snow once again. Supposed to start snowing tonight, parking bans in effect until Saturday morning in most towns. We are in the 2 to 4 inch coverage area with the storm starting as rain today with a high of 45. 

The morning news shows a lot of hope for a submarine maintenance facility in Lordstown. A thousand jobs a possibility.  This ties in with a proposed submarine dry dock at Loraine, Ohio.  I wonder why the navy even considers bringing submarines through the St Lawrence seaway and Welland canal when they already have a sub base at New London CT. 

No real plans for today except to continue working on scanned photos. 

Days, The company that you hired probably should be checked on every 3 to 4 minutes to make sure no corners are cut. We have a few great contractors in our area but the majority are not so good.  Covid has cost the companies a lot in the loss of good workers. 

Prayers for all in need. Keep the wheels on the rails.
Charlie
Greetings, gang.

It's a cloudy 3 degrees in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Tack on a handful of degrees and you will have today's predicted high of 8.

Routine day at the gym yesterday but I did find out the pool heater is fixed so I will be swimming today. Also finished assembling and staining the base for the Xbox monitor. I'll start varnishing it this morning. Only other item on the agenda is bill paying and I'm willing to step aside is someone wants to take over that project.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(02-02-2022, 07:31 AM)Charlie B Wrote:        ...Days, The company that you hired probably should be checked on every 3 to 4 minutes to make sure no corners are cut. We have a few great contractors in our area but the majority are not so good.  Covid has cost the companies a lot in the loss of good workers. 

I will keep an eye on them, although they are a national chain and an Allstate, "preferred provider", that doesn't mean they will do the best job. I do have the trump card though, final payment and feedback to the insurance company.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(02-02-2022, 09:24 AM)ezdays Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 07:31 AM)Charlie B Wrote:        ...Days, The company that you hired probably should be checked on every 3 to 4 minutes to make sure no corners are cut. We have a few great contractors in our area but the majority are not so good.  Covid has cost the companies a lot in the loss of good workers. 

I will keep an eye on them, although they are a national chain and an Allstate, "preferred provider", that doesn't mean they will do the best job. I do have the trump card though, final payment and feedback to the insurance company.

That final payment option is a great maker of honesty for the company but it's the employees that need watched.  At one time I would have never ever said something like this but I am seeing so many complaints about contractors that have been in business for years that I am really glad I have done everything I can without needing to hire anyone. 
Charlie
(02-02-2022, 10:17 AM)Charlie B Wrote: That final payment option is a great maker of honesty for the company but it's the employees that need watched.  At one time I would have never ever said something like this but I am seeing so many complaints about contractors that have been in business for years that I am really glad I have done everything I can without needing to hire anyone. 
Charlie

Yeah, I've gone this long in life without the need to call someone to work on something other than laying carpet. Getting too old to climb ladders and crawl on floors though, but I still do what I can.

Between 2014 and 2017, we had moved locally four time using the same movers. It wasn't until after the last move that I started to unpack all of the boxes, so it wasn't until they were all unpacked (months later) that I found at least one box of kitchen stuff and several boxes of my woodworking tools missing. It may not have been the mover, but his employees since they all had vehicles following the truck, but by that time it was way too late to bring it up. I wonder what happened to trust and a handshake?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(02-02-2022, 12:55 PM)hillyard999 Wrote: Should this post be move to the photography section?  
If so, how?

It's OK here, but if you want to start a discussion on this topic, we can move it to a new thread possibly in the "all other hobbies" forum. Send me a PM if you want to do that.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(02-02-2022, 01:08 PM)ezdays Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 12:55 PM)hillyard999 Wrote: Should this post be move to the photography section?  
If so, how?

It's OK here, but if you want to start a discussion on this topic, we can move it to a new thread possibly in the "all other hobbies" forum. Send me a PM if you want to do that.

These posts have been moved to Cataloging photos
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and