Tour Ship
So you're back "at it" Big Grin Big Grin Looks great so far!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Schraddel Wrote:Pete!
This is the only photo i found were the anchor winch is visible:
[Image: dsc052225irhs.jpg] Diana has only this solely anchor. The winch is one of the old fashioned traditional type with cranks and spur gear. A rather big gear is visible on the photo. The gears are partly covered upper and aft by sheets.
Lateron the winch was motorized with an 90° gearhead electric motor mounted on the starboard side of the gear case. The motor is of industrial standard type and is facing backwards. Lutz

I was going through all the "Google" responses for MS Diana, and found this photo:

it's possible that this, had a cover over it when not in use, that's seen in the photo.
Unless I can find a photo with a bit more detail, I'll probably use this one as the reference for the model windlass.
The information that Diana only had the one anchor, confirms my suspicions.....all the photos only showed the starboard anchor, in place...... Thank You for that little bit of extra knowledge. Thumbsup Thumbsup Big Grin
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
ngauger Wrote:So you're back "at it" Big Grin Big Grin Looks great so far!!

Icon_lol Icon_lol

I'm always "back at something" 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.elde-modellbau.com/shop/article_481/Ankerwinde.html?sessid=LYuVaLRtOexQzdDuowTa0xjzpdPRMSMKtpPsrA7fyPvGcQV7bidh47RaelhYTnqL&shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D481%26">http://www.elde-modellbau.com/shop/arti ... d%3D481%26</a><!-- m -->
This is the type of winch mounted on Diana. It has not a cast iron casing, but is manufactured out of sheet metal.
The side frames are larger than on this model, a more recangular shape (photo) and the back side (towards to protect the passengers!) and the top are covered with additional sheets.
A electric motor is mounted just below the brake drum. There is an additional spur gear on the shaft of the brake drum into which the gears of the motor will connect. As described the motor is facing backwards and has a 90° gearhead.
The cranks are not mounted actually, but still stored under the winch for an case of emergency.

Hope i could help you.

Lutz
Schraddel Wrote:This is the type of winch mounted on Diana. It has not a cast iron casing, but is manufactured out of sheet metal.The side frames are larger than on this model, a more recangular shape (photo) and the back side (towards to protect the passengers!) and the top are covered with additional sheets.
A electric motor is mounted just below the brake drum. There is an additional spur gear on the shaft of the brake drum into which the gears of the motor will connect. As described the motor is facing backwards and has a 90° gearhead.
The cranks are not mounted actually, but still stored under the winch for an case of emergency. Hope i could help you.
Lutz
Thumbsup Thumbsup
...and help me you did !!!! Big Grin That is going to be a fun project in itself, to build !!!
So, in the ship photo, I can actually see part of the large gear, at the forward end of the winch ! I didn't catch that the first time I looked at it. 8-) 8-) Thumbsup
This is looking at the aft end of the winch, and, from left to right we have: 1- the brake drum 2- the main gear ( visible in the ship picture ) 3- the "wildcat" ( for the anchor chain ) 4- Capstan, for handling line.
The motor drive would have to be disengaged to use the crankshaft/cranks.
I think I may have a scale motor casting that could be used for the drive motor, but that could also be scratch built.    
Not a lot of room, at the Seaport Village wharf. A "camel" will have to be built, and set outboard of the W.W.Marsland, to allow the tour ship to come alongside for her once a week stop at the "Village and Museum" at Cindys Harbor.

Langley Models here in UK, do a Clyde Puffer kit, which has a winch - they may be able to supply it seperately

EDIT - in fact it is available as a seperate item - from their catalogue

[Image: pufferwinch.jpg]

Marine Steam Winch (OO Scale 1/76th)
Ref: MB1d Price: £13.25 / €15.77 (Including VAT at 20%)
The winch from the puffer kit above available as a seperate item
Unpainted Kit

- note that the kit is OO scale so it may be slightly over-size

The photos below were taken some years ago in Caley Marina, Inverness with a very early digital camera , so arene't wonderful They show the winch on one of the very few Clyde Puffers still in use, VIC 32 - I hope they may be useful to you

[Image: puf8.th.jpg]

[Image: puf7.th.jpg]

[Image: puf6.th.jpg]

[Image: puf9.th.jpg]
shortliner Wrote:Marine Steam Winch (OO Scale 1/76th)
- note that the kit is OO scale so it may be slightly over-size
Smile Wink If used " in context ", yes. But, a winch, is a winch, and is built for purpose. So, it will be the size needed for that purpose. The only issue might be the size of the gear teeth.
I'll have to print out the information and photo, and file them for future reference...that winch is a bit too large, ( not scale wise, but in overall appearance ) for the task of anchor windlass, on a 103' tour ship, and it does not have a "wildcat", the drum that engages the links of an anchor chain.
You did help, by making me think :oops: that I first have to choose a chain for the anchor, so I can then fashion a "wildcat" to fit the chain. Wink Smile
details, details, details........ 357 Which reminds me also - - - :oops: I'll need to model the hawsepipe through the deck to the "chain locker".
Glad it helped - if only a little bit! Icon_lol
First, the anchor windlass, constructed.....

The anchor came from the "Firefighter", and will have some minor alterations.
The Bitts, were built up from styrene sheet, and rod. I chose a dimension of 12" for the height of the Bitts.
-----
The small "positionable" gear, on the hand crank shaft, is moved clear of the large gear on the windlass axle, to allow the anchor to be dropped. It would be logical to assume that any motor, would engage that gear, when the hand crank was not in use, and be disengaged from it when using the hand crank. So the motor, and its clutch assembly, would most likely have to be
part of what is moved, to drop the anchor . . . . . . I'm working on that, and will probably mount the motor/clutch, on support rods, connected to the winch frame. ( or, just put a box over it....but where's the fun in that :?: Wink )
-----
The aft ladder needs stain, and some final adjustments of the hand rails so it sits properly in place.

Finally, a shot of the full ship, at this point in construction.

-----
I found a sheet of "patterned" paper to use as "Wallpaper" for the lounge/diner interior. My intention is to cut, fit, apply a spray adhesive and install the "wallpaper", before priming and painting the deck-house exterior. I can then cut out the window and door openings, prior to installing the windows and doors.
I also have a sheet, for the lounge/diner floor carpeting.....with so many windows, that detail would be visible. ( the absents of that detail would be even more visible Eek )
:hey: Stop it! You're making me want a harbour scene, and I have no room for one. Wallbang

As usual, very nice work, Pete. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote::hey: Stop it! You're making me want a harbour scene, and I have no room for one. Wallbang

As usual, very nice work, Pete. Thumbsup Thumbsup Wayne

Icon_lol Icon_lol That ! is the beauty of "modular" - - - the track, is fixed by Specification / Regulation, so the module interfaces with the others of the group.
The Scene, however, is the choice of the builder, and is not necessarily "demanded" by the track plan. ( really, how demanding can the simple requirement of two tracks across the front of the module at specific distances from the front edge, and between, be? Icon_twisted Big Grin Big Grin Cheers - - - - you'd be surprised, especially when one adds a dual gauge line parallel to, and below the "required track" Eek Wallbang :o

On the other hand........there is limited space in a module, or modules. I thought 5.5 sale acres of water would make a nice harbor scene......it's already a bit "crowded", and is getting more so ! Eek ( I guess the "Harbor Master" is going to have to be a bit more careful about scheduling the comings, and goings, of traffic, on the water. Wink )

In any case, Thank You Wayne, I try.
WOW.

Looking ship shape so far. Thumbsup
The railings on the aft end:

[Image: dsc0519006dq2.jpg]
The Svedes are safety fanatics. So every thing, every device, every engine and every ship has safety appliances.

Lutz
Built and installed all but one of the tables in the diner/lounge area. These shots are one of the tables, with some spare change for size comparison.

The Hull, and the "shelter deck", are in primer, and a few patches of putty. I'll post photos when the final coat of paint is on.
Once this is done, I can start installing the deck details, the remainder of the interior details, and attach the "Bridge Deck".