Tour Ship
" The table ? that will be easy "
Glass table, on four brass legs.

and now, the insurmountable obstacles - - bottles, and glasses.

In a canal, there are no "seas", so a vessel is stable. In the lakes, are there bottles and glasses on the glass tabletop?- -
or are they briefly there before crashing to the deck?

In Great Island Sound, the "Letty J", will encounter occasional " rough water ". :o Wink I suspect bottle and glass holders will be required. Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

The decision has finally been made. I'm adding the decking, and the lifeboat and davits.
I will need to add pads at the lower ends of the davit rails, once the overhead is attached. Before that I have to build the winch, pulleys, and rig the cables to operate the davits.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be a vertical ladder between the WC doors, offset to one side or the other to clear the table.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three glasses, on the table, are "rocks" or "on-the-rocks" glasses. I'm still thinking about some form of glass/cup holders to keep the glasses from sliding off the table when the ship rolls. The possible alternative would be non-slip coasters for each glass.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.

Some Progress: The cables, blocks, and winch for the davits are done, in place, and rigged. I am starting to select and, in some cases "re-pose" figures. There's still some detail work to be done on the lifeboat, and lots of "modifying", dressing, and painting the figures. Some are pre-painted, and will not be changed, the others are either white plastic, or "flesh color plastic castings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A close-up of the "selected" figures. I'm still looking through my "stash" to see if I can find more. The little squares of painter's tape help keep the LPB's "stable" in the standing mode. ( The bar's open, and some of them were already "falling down" ! ) :o Big Grin Big Grin They will all get glued in place once I have them all painted and "arranged".
I moved the ladder to the "lifeboat deck" to the after Port corner, from the original centerline position. It was too close to the glass table. The port side "Bridge deck" area will not get the canvass "cover", because of the Gravity Davits, so that side was the best place for the ladder.
That's coming along beautifully... Thumbsup

Question....Does that upper deck take a railing..?? It's an awful long fall from there...And very likely to happen with all the pitching and rolling going on..
Gus (LC&P).
The deck the figures are standing on, gets railings, and there will be railings on the "lifeboat deck" as well.
I just have to get in a "soldering-all-day" mood. Big Grin
Pete, Woodland Scenics offers what they call "Accent Cement". It comes with a brush-in-cap applicator, and you simply paint it onto the soles of the LPBs' feet, and allow it to dry until it turns clear. You can then place the figures where you want them, and even the drunks will remain standing. If you wish to remove them, simply lift them off. You can also place them at other locales, and the stickum seems to be good for both some time and several re-positionings. It leaves no residue and any excess can be simple rubbed off the passengers' feet.

Wayne
Wayne,
I have the "Accent Cement", and may use it on the figures, once they are painted, and until I have them "where I want them".
I'll probably use the Siliconized Acrylic Caulk, to attach them permanently. I'll continue to use the masking tape squares until I have a big enough "crowd", for the deck space available. I also want to have a few LPB's walking, here and there.

First though, the life boat details, and then the Keel support, gripes, and other boat storage related items.
This has become an exercise in memory, modeling nautical "bits and pieces", and "nautical common sense".

The exercise in "patience" comes with the soldering of the railings. ( maybe I'll be all exercised out by the time I get to railings ) !! OK, for just a short breather. 357 , and after I've designed and built "railing height jigs" to hold the pieces in place for soldering.

( for the time being, LPB's, may be interpreted as "Little Plastic Bipeds" Icon_lol )

Those of us who remember the "Old Gauge", know a slightly different "interpretation". Icon_twisted
Wow the people really add to models looks Thumbsup
Cheers

The spark of "life" changes all things. 2285_ Cheers Cheers
Wow Pete, you ought to take up ship building! ( Yes, I know you already have Icon_lol )

Beautiful craftsmanship! Thumbsup Worship Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Wow Pete, you ought to take up ship building! ( Yes, I know you already have Icon_lol )

Beautiful craftsmanship! Thumbsup Worship Cheers

Mike, Thank You.
The "Parent Company" of my "railroad empire" is the ( fictitious ) Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company. Wink

The future is hard to see, but it appears that the shipyard may be responsible for several Star Fleet vessels. Wink 357 357
Pete.....what can I say? Absolutely beautiful work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
I'm speechless Eek ........first time for everything I guess Goldth
Steve
Steve, save the " speechless" for when it is finally completed ! 357 357
The beauty of this project, is that it has already required a lot of creative thought, and creative "what, where, how, why, and could it? "
I need that to keep the old brain from going into "vegetative state" and forgetting everything! :o 357 357 357
At this point, there are 36, cleaned up, modified, and/or painted figures ( Uh, passengers ) aboard.

The small tug is assisting her alongside the wharf.

Alongside and moored

A close-up shot of the passengers, on the "party deck"

It took the better part of three days to get all the "passengers" cleaned up, some re-posed, and painted. There are 36 of them, and no two the same.
Yes, I am doing the easy things first........to put off the task of "railing soldering" for as long as I can. That, will be the real "tedium". Confusedhock:
Still, This has been and continues to be an interesting and challenging project, and an enjoyable exercise in "freelance modeling".
Thank You Schraddel, for getting me started on this, with the pictures of MS Diana.
A great model Thumbsup
Reinhard